Ten-man ECU beat at Sorrento

Ten-man ECU beat at Sorrento

Posted on May 3, 2011 in 'Reports'

Sorrento ended the weekend in fifth place courtesy of Friday night’s 3-0 defeat of northern neighbours ECU Joondalup at Percy Doyle Reserve. (by Football West reporter Michael Bate) The teams went into half time as they’d started, however, the balance tipped in the Gulls favour three minutes after the turnaround when Joondalup defender Mark Tebbutt was issued his marching order. Adam Luca rubbed salt into the wound by scoring Sorrento’s opener a minute later with David Foster and Shaun Timmins adding to the tally to secure the victory.

ECU coach Syd Amphlett made three changes from the side that lost at the Lions last week, with skipper Dale McCulloch returning to the midfield, while Jon Higgins and Jonathan Stynes also returned. John Thornley and Ross Anderson dropped to the bench while Scott Bushby was omitted.

In typical derby fashion, the early exchanges were played at high tempo with neither side settling on the ball long enough to create a genuine shot on goal. The first strike on target came in the 20th minute when Timmins’ effort from the edge of the 18-yard box was easily saved by Andy Banks. There was further activity in the Joondalup goalmouth three minutes later Banks moved sharply to keep out Fosters’ near post header from a Luca corner. A minute later Daryl Platten rose highest at the back post to meet another corner from Luca only to see his effort cleared off the line.

Sorrento captain Todd Harnwell fired narrowly wide of the far post with an acrobatic volley on the turn after a fine move involving Platten and Brodie Martin. At the other end of the pitch a clever ball by Jordan Withey played Ryan McDarby in but the young right back’s curling effort flew past the post. There was no let up from either team as half time drew nearer. Luca sent a free kick over the crossbar, much to the annoyance of coach Paul Price, before Ian McMurray was denied by the flag and Jon Higgins’ curling shot was held by Curtis Aspden.

The second half had been underway three minutes when Tebbutt earned his second yellow card for hauling down Ryan Pearson as drive towards the penalty area. Things went from bad to worse for the visitors when Luca curled the resulting free kick over the defensive wall and into the back of the net. Jonathan Stynes’ went close to equalising but his long-range attempt was tipped over by Aspden. Sorrento should have gone two-up but Platten’s weak effort was blocked by Banks, Timmins fired into the post and Platten’s follow-up was cleared off the line by a defender.

Foster showed his team mates how it’s done in the 78th minute by heading in Pearson’s inch perfect cross at the back post. Todd Harnwell should have sealed the win when Foster put him in through one-on-one with Banks only for the Joondalup custodian to come out on top with a fine sav

Sorrento: GK Curtis ASPDEN, 2 Danny CAIN, 4 Cameron YORKE, 5 Jamie HARNWELL, 6 Daryl PLATTEN, 8 Brodie MARTIN, 9 Todd HARNWELL, 17 Shaun TIMMINS, 19 Adam LUCA, 22 Ryan PEARSON, 24 David FOSTER – Subs not used: RGK Todd ROSS, 3 Stuart BANKS, 15 Craig TOOLEY, 23 Dejan GUROVSKI, 38 Blair GOVEN

ECU Joondalup: GK Andy BANKS, 3 Chris WHYLIE (2 Ben KELLY 86′), 4 Charlie COMYN-PLATT, 6 Mark TEBBUTT, 7 John HIGGINS, 8 Scott BLACKMORE, 10 Jonathan STYNES (5 Ross ANDERSON 69′), 14 Jordan WITHEY (9 John THORNLEY 59′), 16 Ian MCMURRAY, 17 Ryan MCDARBY, 18 Dale MCCULLOCH – Subs not used: RGK Brynn HINDLEY, 15 Sebastian FRANSSAN

Referee – Tim Mihevc