Jacks return to winning ways at Rockingham

Jacks return to winning ways at Rockingham

Posted on July 25, 2021 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup returned the winning ways in the NPLWA after a 5-1 win against Rockingham City at SafeRad Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

They had to come from behind, after Feisal Zaw opened the scoring for the hosts early, but Riley Woodcock levelled just before half time.

The Jacks dominated the second half, and goals from Jakub Prajza, his first for the club, Andy Higgins, Daryl Nicol and a late Danny Hodgson penalty sealed the comprehensive victory.

Assistant coach Callum Salmon said it was a good performance, but they need to learn from the slow start. “I thought we played well today and it could have been ten, but happy to score five and get the three points,” Salmon said post-match.

“We have to start games better and be ready to play from the first whistle. We scored some great goals today, but we need to defender better at important moments.

“Delighted to get the win we need to keep this form going, and we roll on to next week against Balcatta.”

Defender Jakub Prajza was over the moon with the win, and his first goal for the club. “It was a good performance, especially the second half, we were a bit sloppy in the first, but we got the job done,” Prajza said.

“We conceded early, but we dominated for the rest of the game, and that’s how we play every game, today we scored five goals which is good.

“Finally, I scored a goal, I said before the season I’m going to score three goals, but today is my first and I’m happy with that.”

Kenny Lowe made one change from the side that were beaten by Sorrento last time out in the league, with Shane Cassidy coming back from suspension to replace the injured Jeremy Tshongo.

The hosts had won back-to-back games under their new coach Lee Taylor, and they made the best possible start, opening the scoring after only four minutes. A ball into the box found Zaw, and the Rockingham skipper beat Johnny Perkins to the ball to head home.

They went close to a second six minutes later, Dylan Rogers’ cross from the left found Zaw at the back post, but his header was saved on the line by Perkins.

The Jacks settled and started to get a foot hold in the game, and went close themselves, when Higgins’ corner was headed towards goal by Hodgson, but the combination of the post and Rockingham’s Hamish van Dieken managed to clear the ball away.

It was one-way traffic now as the Jacks pressed for the equaliser, and Nicol’s shot from the edge of the box was saved by Cyril Sharrock

They went closer on the half hour, Chris Harold found Hodgson, who turned his marker in the penalty area, his shot beat Sharrock but crashed off the post and rebounded back into the grateful arms of the Rockingham custodian.

Moments later Harold was brought down in the box, but referee Adrien Liechti waved away the player’s protest. Harold sustained an injury in the incident and he was replaced by Nelson Tshongo.

The home side had defended well and hit on a counter attack moments later Nathan Ng’s surging run ended with a shot but it flashed the wrong side of the post.

But five minutes before the break the Jacks deservedly found the equaliser. Some neat build up play ended with Woodcock, who found the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.

The Jacks ended the half well, and Woodcock fired wide from five meters, after being picked out by Tshongo’s cross, before Cassidy headed Higgins’ free kick over the top, but it was all-square at the break.

It was a better start to the second than the first for the Jacks, and they hit the front eight minutes in. Nicol sent Tshongo down the left, and the defender pulled the ball back from the bye line across the penalty area and Prajza finished clinically at the back post, his first goal since joining the club from Sorrento.

Then five minutes later it was 3-1, Woodcock won possession in the middle of the park and sent Hodgson down the left, he crossed to Higgins, whose first time shot flew past Sharrock.

It was one-way traffic as the Jacks looked for more, and Declan Hughes’ bullet header looked destined for the top corner of the net, but Sharrock produced a great save to deny the midfielder.

Rockingham went close to a second eight minutes from time, but Harry Bolan’s header at the back post failed to hit the target. But moments later it was the Jacks who added to their tally.

Tshongo slipped second half substitute Oscar Malifiore down the left, he cut inside the box and found Nicol, whose shot on the turn found the bottom corner.

A great team performance was topped off in stoppage time when they added a fifth. Tshongo was brought down by Rockingham defender Nathan Banks, and the referee pointed straight to the spot. Hodgson stepped up to convert, for his eleventh goal of the season to seal a comprehensive win.

In other games on the day Dimitri Phylactou’s under 18’s drew 1-1. Robert Duckmanton had given the hosts the lead in the first half, but six minutes from time second half substitute Hanani Ndebele gave the Jacks a well-deserved point.

Mark Scanlan’s under 20s also drew 1-1. Ben Rutter gave the Jacks the lead, but Mustafa Mkanza levelled midway through the second half for the hosts.

We are back in action next Saturday when we host Balcatta at the ECU Football Stadium

Match Details
Rockingham City 1 (Zaw 4’) ECU Joondalup 5 (Woodcock 40’, Prajza 53’, Higgins 58’, Nicol 88’, Hodgson 95’ pen)

Rockingham City: GK Cyril SHARROCK, 4 Dieudonne SUMAIL 6 Harry BOLAN, 7 Feisal ZAW, 8 Hamish VAN DIEKEN, 9 Christos VAENAS (12 Fraser MARR 61), 13 Nathan NG, 19 Noah WITTSTROM LEA, 20 Dylan ROGERS (34 Nathan BANKS 82’), 21 Joseph MOSS, 28 Harvey HANCOCK (14 Ryan KENNEDY 72’) – Subs not used: RGK Bradley STOUT, 18 Axel RICHARDSON
ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, 4 Declan HUGHES, 6 Riley WOODCOCK (7 Jason PETRIE 85’), 8 Tom HOUGH (5 Danny DOUGLAS 89’), 9 Daryl NICOL, 10 Andy HIGGINS (15 Oscar MALFIORE 89’), 11 Chris HAROLD (3 Nelson TSHONGO 36’), 12 Jakub PRAJZA, 17 Danny HODGSON, 18 Luke PALMATEER – Subs not used: RGK Joe POLLARD – Referee: Adrien LIECHTI