Jacks held by Gwelup

Jacks held by Gwelup

Posted on June 12, 2021 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup slipped further behind the league leaders on the NPLWA ladder after a hard fought 1-1 draw against Gwelup Croatia at the ECU Football Stadium.

It was a pulsating game with action at both ends, which had the crowd on their edge of the seats from the first whistle to the last.

Danny Hodgson gave the Jacks the lead just after the hour mark, but Mitch Oxborrow levelled for Gwelup six minutes from time to take a share of the spoils.

“Unhappy we didn’t get the three points today with the number of chances we created today,” Jacks Coach Callum Salmon said post-match.

“In the last four games we’ve had chances but failed to convert, and today we had a couple of one-on-ones which would have made it 2-0 and we could have then managed the game better, but it wasn’t to be.

“We made a couple of mistakes coming out of the back, which is the way we want to play, and conceded a couple of chances, and Johnny made a couple of great saves.

“But at the end of the day we deserved more from the last four games, for the way we have played, but we didn’t finish our chances.”

Kenny Lowe went into the game with the same side that were beaten by Cockburn City last week, and they started brightly with Chris Harold heading inches wide from Andy Higgins’ corner after only two minutes.

But the visitors went close to the opener themselves on 26 minutes, Gustavo Giron-Marulanda’s curling free kick smacked the base of the post and away to safety.

Four minutes later the Jacks should have taken the lead. Daryl Nicol’s corner found Shane Cassidy, his shot was blocked, the ball falling to Hodgson, whose close-range effort was cleared off the line by Gwelup skipper Declan Hargreaves.

But two minutes later referee David Bruce pointed to the spot after Jakub Prajza’s cross hit the arm of Tom Southgate, much to the displeasure of the Gwelup players.

But after talking to his assistant, the penalty was waved away, much to the amazement of the Jacks players.

Both sides had late chances, first Jon Stynes raced down the left and picked out Ethan Brooks, whose goalbound shot was deflected wide.

Then in stoppage time the Jacks had the best chance of the half, Higgins made space down the left and his perfectly weighted cross found Hodgson, but the striker didn’t make good contact with the ball, and Gwelup keeper Ben Ratajczak easily saved.

Gwelup made the best possible start to the second half and two minutes in they were awarded a penalty. The Jacks gave the ball away at the back, and Marulanda raced into the penalty area and was brought down by Jeremy Tshongo, and the referee pointed straight to spot again.

Stynes stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick, but Johnny Perkins guessed the right way to save his effort. Gwelup were in again eight minutes later, the lively Brooks raced clear, but his shot flashed inches wide of the post.

Former Jacks winger Brooks was a constant threat down the right and he was in again moments later, but his low cross from the bye-line was well claimed by the alert Perkins.

But on 62 minutes it was the Jacks who hit the front, after Stynes brought down Harold, and Hodgson sent Ratajczak the wrong way from the spot for his seventh goal of the season.

It was now end-to-end football and Paul Zimarino’s shot was well saved by Perkins, before Nicol’s cross was well cleared by Ciaran Salinger, with Hodgson ready to pounce in the six-yard box.

Perkins almost handed the equaliser to Gwelup moments later, the Jacks custodian delayed a clearance and Brooks nicked in to steal the ball, but Brooks then inadvertently deflected the ball away from Marulanda with the goal at his mercy.

The chances kept coming for both sides, Nicol was sent one-on-one with Ratajczak, but the young Gwelup custodian stood tall to deny him, then down the other end Perkins saved well to deny Brooks, before producing a stunning save to thwart Marulanda.

Cassidy then fired over the top after Luke Palmateer’s headed back across goal on 80 minutes, as the Jacks looked for the important second goal, but it was Gwelup who found the equaliser four minutes later.

They won a free kick out wide on the left, and Oxborrow’s curling set-piece beat everyone and nestled in the far corner of the net.

The action continued and second half substitute Tommy Amphlett went close to winning it two minutes later, he was sent clear but once again Ratajczak stood tall to deny him.

The visitors then had a chance to win it late, Oxborrow’s free kick was blocked on the line by Perkins, and a goalmouth scramble unused, and somehow the Jacks managed to clear their lines, with three shots blocked.

The draw ended the Jacks three game losing streak, but are now level on the table with Sorrento, and they are back in action next weekend with a trip to Balcatta in the round six catch up game.

In other games on the day the 18s were beaten 1-3 by Gwelup, with Reginald Saungweme scoring on the hour, while the 20s ran out 1-0 winners with Danyel De Souza scoring the only goal of the game to move them up to seventh.

Match Details
ECU Joondalup 1 (Hodgson 62’ pen) Gwelup Croatia 1 (Oxborrow 84’)

ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, 2 Jeremy TSHONGO (18 Luke PALMATEER 52’), 4 Declan HUGHES, 6 Riley WOODCOCK (13 Tommy AMPHLETT 75’), 8 Tom HOUGH, 9 Daryl NICOL, 10 Andy HIGGINS, 11 Chris HAROLD, 12 Jakub PRAJZA, 16 Shane CASSIDY, 17 Danny HODGSON (3 Nelson TSHONGO 75’) – Subs not used: RGK Joe POLLARD, 5 Danny DOUGLAS – Yellow Cards: Hough 22’, Harold 44’, J. Tshongo 47’, Cassidy 86’
Gwelup Croatia: GK Ben RATAJCZAK, 2 Ciaran SALINGER, 3 Adam FIELDS, 4 Tom SOUTHGATE, 6 Declan HARGREAVES, 8 Jon STYNES, 9 Paul ZIMARINO (14 Shubham MOKALA 72’), 10 Mitch OXBORROW, 11 Ethan BROOKS, 18 Gustavo GIRON MARULANDA, 29 Oli LA GALIA – Subs not used: – RGK Malek KUC, 24 Raphael GOMBA, 27 Nathan WEBSTER, 34 Dejan LEWIS – Yellow Cards: La Galia 20′, Salinger 41′, Stynes 61′, Hargreaves 70′ – Referee: David BRUCE