Jacks beat Bayswater to reach FFA Cup last four

Jacks beat Bayswater to reach FFA Cup last four

Posted on June 3, 2021 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup has moved into the last four of the FFA Cup (WA) after a 2-0 win against Bayswater City at Frank Drago Reserve on Wednesday evening.

Second half goals from Danny Hodgson and a first goal for the club from Nelson Tshongo sealed the win and the Jacks now wait to see who they will play in the Semi-Finals. (Photos by Debra Massey)

“It was a great win, as Bayswater had a younger side out tonight so they were full of energy, but I think we created some decent chances and were unlucky and the first half,” goal scorer Hodgson said.

“In the second half we got an early goal which give us a bit of momentum once we went 2-0 up it was a matter of trying to keep the ball and the clean sheet, so we are happy to have our name in the hat for the next round.”

The Jacks were without Luke Palmateer and Riley Woodcock, the pair being cup-tied, but Kenny Lowe picked a strong side for the tie, and even better news on the bench with Tommy Amphlett returning from a long injury layoff.

The Jacks controlled the tempo of the first half without reward, dangerous ball in to the penalty area caused City all sorts of problems, but they couldn’t find the target, the best came when Daryl Nicol’s effort was cleared off the line. . The Jacks defence were tight and give City no clear-cuts chances, and it was scoreless at the break.

But four minutes into the second half the Jacks found the opener.  Nicol received the ball on the edge of the penalty area, and he had two Bayswater players for company, but he eased past them and picked out Hodgson who lost his marker to head home.

It was a perfect start to the second half, but the home side weren’t finished and Johnny Perkins was called into to action for the first time on the night, saving a one-on-one moments later.

But on 71 minutes the Jacks added a second. Chris Harold squared the ball to Hodgson, who played the ball out to the left for Nelson Tshongo, who took a neat first touch before finishing low through keeper Nick Speca’s legs.

The Jacks went close to a third four minutes later, Andy Higgins’ corner found Harold, whose effort hit the post and away to safety.

But the Jacks held firm to keep a clean sheet and put themselves into the hat for the Semi-final draw at Football West headquarters today at 6.00pm.

“Before the game we knew we needed to be focused and ready as they have really good team and they proved it and made a tough game for us,” Jacks’ defender Jakub Prajza said post-match.

“We dominated first half, but couldn’t score, despite a few good chances. Fortunately, we scored in the beginning of the second half and that goal gave us a confidence and a calm, to play our way. Then when the man of the match Nelson scored a fantastic goal, we knew that was a last nail in a coffin for Baysie. We’re very happy and excited which team we’ll get in next round.”

Skipper Perkins was happy to get the win and a clean sheet. “It’s good to get back to winning ways and a clean sheet after a couple of losses where we felt we deserved more,” he said.

“The team put in a solid performance and I think we controlled the game for large periods.

“It was also great to see Tommy Amphlett come on and get minutes after a bad injury and a long time away from the pitch.”

Match Details
Bayswater City 0 ECU Joondalup 2 (Hodgson 49’, N. Tshongo 71’)
Bayswater City: GK Nic SPECA, Ryan PEARSON, Jack ALLAN, Jordan ABRAHAMS, Albert FULLARD, Jason MIRCO, Kosta SPARTA, Alex MCLEAN, Tyler GARNER, Daniel KATZ, Shaun MUKWEVHO – Subs: RGK George JACKSON, 12 Fraser DUNLOP, 14 Leonard GAMA
ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, Jakub PRAJZA, Shane CASSIDY, Jeremy TSHONGO, Nelson TSHONGO, Declan HUGHES, Tom HOUGH, Andy HIGGINS, Chris HAROLD, Danny HODGSON, Daryl NICOL – Subs: Joe POLLARD, Jason PETRIE, Danny DOUGLAS, Oscar MALIFIORE, Tommy AMPHLETT – Referee: Shane SKINNER