Jacks From the Past – Cup Action from 2014

Jacks From the Past – Cup Action from 2014

Posted on April 9, 2020 in 'News'

With the 2020 season in hiatuses we look back at ECU Joondalup Soccer Club games from the past.

Today we go back to April 5 2014 when the Jacks hosted Division Two side Forrestfield United in the State League Cup at the Campus.

The Jacks were made to fight hard to reach the second round of the Cup, after a 3-0 win against Forrestfield United at the ECU Football Stadium.

Jon Higgins gave the Jacks the lead, and Jon Stynes added a second moments later, before second half substitute Gareth Crawley scored his first senior goal for the club to wrap up the scoring.

“I’m happy to get through the first round of the cup. It wasn’t the most entertaining of games but we did enough to get through,” ECU Coach Dale McCulloch said. “Once the game settled after 30 minutes, we were quite comfortable, the only negative was sending off of Ryan Lowry.”

It was McCulloch’s second season at the Jacks and they went into this cup game on the back of a loss against local rivals Sorrento in the league, this after a draw against Cockburn City and wins against Perth Glory and Floreat Athena in the opening three rounds.

It was Rod Banjac’s side who opened the brighter, and they went close to the lead in the opening minutes. Chris Perrott picked up the ball in the centre of the park and wasn’t closed down, his long-range strike was heading for the corner of the net, but Jacks keeper Andy Banks produced a great save to deny him, tipping the shot over the crossbar.

Forrestfield continued to press and Trent Wood and Rhys Loxley combined down the left, and Loxley’s low shot flashed inches past the post. McCulloch’s side settled, and started to take control of the game and on the half hour they hit the front.

Jon Higgins was given far too much space on the edge of the penalty area and he made them pay, firing home from 10-meters. Their lead was doubled just before half time, when Jon Higgins’ free kick curling free kick was tipped onto the bar by Forrestfield custodian Brad Eiffe, but Stynes was quickest to react to fire home the rebound.

The Jacks went on with it and when Stynes played a great through ball to Tommy Amphlett, the speedy winger burst clear, but Eiffe produced a stunning save to deny him. Moments later Lee Jones sent Stynes in on goal, but the midfielder saw his shot crash off the post, but the Jacks went into the sheds with a two-goal lead.

Forrestfield looked to get back into the game early in the second half, Ben Fraser was sent clear down the left, he cut the ball back Jordan Hart whose shot was well saved by the alert Banks. Jacks centre forward Jones was a real handful for the Forrestfield defence and his shot on 70 minutes was tipped over bar by Eiffe as the Jacks looked to seal the tie.

That came ten minutes later when the result was put out of reach of the visitors, with substitute Crawley firing home after good work from Amphlett. The sending off of young defender Lowry late took the gloss of the win, but it was the Jacks who went into the hat for the second-round draw.