‘Jacks from the Past’

‘Jacks from the Past’

Posted on April 2, 2020 in 'News'

With the 2020 season in hiatuses we look back at ECU Joondalup Soccer Club games from the past.

Today we go back to March 27 2010, when Steve Amphlett’s side hosted Mandurah City at the Campus in round two of the State Premier League.

It was the Jacks first home game of the State Premier League season, and they were coming off a good Bam Creative Night Series campaign, reaching the Semi-Final, before losing 3-1 to eventual winners Perth SC at Litis Stadium.

But a disappointing 0-2 loss at Inglewood United in the first round of the league made this game vital and an own goal from Dolphins defender James Hesketh gave the Jacks the lead at the break and second half substitute Garin Collins wrapped up the points, scoring minutes after coming off the bench.

“The wind made it difficult to play today, but I thought in the second half we got the ball down and tried to pass it and we were rewarded for that,” Jacks coach Syd Amphlett said. “We’ve got Western Knights next week, and though they’re one of the best three teams in the competition, I believe every game is there to be won.”

It was a breezy day at the Campus, and the strong wind caused problems for the entire game, and with the players failing to adjust to the conditions many passes went astray and lofted balls were either held up or carried by the wind.

Despite this, it was the Jacks who dominated proceedings and carved out some good chances while limiting Mandurah to not much in the way of scoring opportunities. John Thornley went close with an early strike, and moments later Charlie Comyn-Platt’s effort from a corner was saved by Phil Straker, before Jamie Watt forced a fine save from the Mandurah custodian with a flicked header.

It was one-way traffic as the Jacks pressed for the opener, and after a lovely flowing move, involving Jason Marsden, Michael Currie and Watt ended with Jon Higgins volleying high, and shortly before the break Currie hit the crossbar with a blistering free-kick.

After dominating the first half without reward the Jacks finally got their reward three minutes into the second half when Mandurah should have easily dealt with a cross in the 18-yard box, however, a mix-up between Hesketh and Straker led to the centre half wrong-footing his ‘keeper as he tried to guide the ball back to him.

The game effectively put to bed twelve minutes later when Collins fired past Straker with virtually his first touch of the game. There was still plenty of life in the Jacks as they pressed for more goals, and Phil O’Callaghan went within inches off added a third but his effort hit the outside of the post, but at the final whistle it was the Jacks celebrating the three points.