ECU let it slip late at Cockburn

ECU let it slip late at Cockburn

Posted on June 13, 2015 in 'Reports'

Cockburn City moved up to fifth place on the table, after a 2-1 win against a young ECU Joondalup side at Dalmatinac Park.

Harry O’Brien scored twice for the home side with two well taken goals, either side of Tommy Amphlett’s equaliser for the visitors. “I thought we gave them a little too much respect in the first half, but we had a chat at half time and changed a few things around and I thought we played really well second half, and should have taken something home with us,” ECU Coach Dale McCulloch said.

“I’m quick to have a go at my players when they don’t give me effort, but today they all gave me 100%, and sometimes football can be cruel, and it was today.”

ECU gave league starting debuts to teenagers Ollie Annis and Harry Bissett, but the start of the game was lacklustre, with chances few and far between, and the first real opportunity fell to the visitors on 24 minutes. Amphlett raced away down the right, cut inside his marker, his shot was well saved by Curtis Aspden, with Alan Carroll on hand to head away the rebound. The home side went close themselves on 27 minutes. ECU custodian Jamie Serra saving well to deny Cockburn top scorer Rory Patterson. But 10 minutes later the home side hit the front. O’Brien found space on the left, and cut inside Roland Rixer. His shot took a slight deflection and flew low into the corner of the net giving Serra no chance.

The visitors started the second half well and were level on 50 minutes. Amphlett won a tackle on the edge of the box, and he raced into the area and fired clinically past Aspden. Cockburn almost hit back immediately. A poor clearance from Serra turned the ball over and O’Brien raced into the area, but his shot from the angle hit the base of the post and away to safety, much to the relief of Serra.

Serra was keeping his side in the game. The keeper made a great save to deny O’Brien on the hour, and produced an even better one to thwart the same player moments later. O’Brien was on fire, and he should have added a second on 79 minutes. A quick free kick by Julian Teles caught ECU napping, the ball found its way to O’Brien, but his shot flashed inches wide of the target.

But that was all forgotten sixty seconds later when Cockburn regained the lead. Patterson played a good through ball to O’Brien on the left. He cut inside his marker and across the edge of the penalty area, and his shot flew into the corner of the net. ECU pushed men forward looking for the equaliser, and were being caught out at the back. Patterson’s shot from the edge of the penalty area was well saved by Serra. Before Liam Murray was also denied by Serra, who was out bravely to save at the strikers feet in stoppage time.

Cockburn Coach Marc Anthony said he has a lot of sympathy with the ECU Coach. “I’ve got a lot of respect for ECU, Dale has had a horrendous run of injuries, but he some good young kids in there, and they showed that today, and on another day they would have got a point,” he said. “We made it difficult for ourselves, but we kept at it all game and got the rewards with the late winner.”

Cockburn City: GK Curtis ASPDEN, 3 Jonathan CORNESS, 5 Alan CARROLL, 8 David ARAYA (9 Liam MURRAY 77’), 10 Rory PATTERSON, 11 Devon GIBSON, 12 Feisal ZAW (16 Julian TELES 70’), 13 Blake ADAMS, 14 Conor KAVANAGH, 15 Harry O’BRIEN (90’), 17 Eamon McNELIS – Subs not used: RGK Jack ADAMS, 7 Daniel BRYANT

Yellow cards: Blake Adams 71’, Murray 88’

ECU Joondalup: GK Jamie SERRA, 2 Ryan LOWRY, 4 Charlie COMYN-PLATT, 5 Harry BISSETT, 6 Jon STYNES, 7 Paul MILLER, 8 Joe SMITH (17 Bayley MONTGOMERY 86’), 11 Rowdy YATES, 12 Ronald RIXER, 13 Tommy AMPHLETT, 14 Ollie ANNIS (10 Stuart MONTGOMERY 81’)  – Subs not used: RGK Ash MAYNARD-BREWER, 9 Guy MCDONALD, 15 Joel PROUT

Yellow cards: Comyn-Platt 88’

Referee: Michal Jasinski