ECU have no answers against Floreat

ECU have no answers against Floreat

Posted on August 7, 2015 in 'Reports'

A nine man ECU Joondalup have been beaten 7-2 by second placed Floreat Athena at the ECU Football Stadium, in week 17 of the PS4 National Premier League WA.

Five second-half goals helped visitors to a comprehensive win, and it if it wasn’t for ECU keeper Jamie Serra it could have been double figures. The hosts had taken the lead early through Ollie Annis, but former ECU midfield Jon Stynes levelled, before Lewis McMahon gave them the lead at the break. Stynes and McMahon added another after the break, with other goals to Bobby Wilson, Kris Gate and Aryn Williams, while ECU skipper Jon Higgins and Paul Miller were both sent off.

The visitors opened brightly, but couldn’t find an avenue to goal, and it was ECU that opened the scoring on 22 minutes. A long ball over the top sent Annis clear, and he fired home clinically past Fraser Greenwood. Floreat looked to hit back, Williams’ shot crashed off the post, and they found Serra in fine form. The ECU custodian was at full stretch to keep out Bobby Wilson’s free kick.

But the keeper couldn’t do anything when Floreat levelled. ECU didn’t clear their line and Stynes volley flew into the net. Serra was working overtime, and he saved superbly from Stynes’ long-range shot on the half hour, but Floreat’s pressure was rewarded with the lead in the last minute of the half. McMahon brought the ball down on his chest, before beating Serra with a deft chip.

The visitors made the perfect start to the second half and made it 3-1 in the first minute. Ludovic Boi intercepted a poor clearance out of defense from ECU, to cross to McMahon who tapped in from close-range. It was 4-1, four minutes later, Boi again supplying the assist, his corner picking out Wilson, who headed home at the far post. The home side was caving in and Gate made it 5-1 on 52 minutes.

ECU’s problems became worse when skipper Higgins was sent off by referee Josh Mannella on 57 minutes, after receiving two yellow cards in quick succession, and Stynes rubbed salt in the wounds by adding a sixth on the hour, turning home Boi’s cross. Tommy Amphlett pulled one back for ECU on 73 minutes, the striker racing clear from Miller’s through ball to finish low past Greenwood.

But Miller’s afternoon ended six minutes later, when he brought down Boi, and was given a second yellow card and sent off. Floreat continued to press and scored a seventh in the final minute, William’s volleying home after Serra could only parry Boi’s shot, and the win keeps them hot on the heels of leaders Bayswater at the top of the table.

ECU Joondalup: GK Jamie SERRA, 2 Ryan LOWRY, 3 Jon HIGGINS (C), 4 Cian HIRRELL (12 Jack MCMASTER 66), 5 Kye DOUGLAS, 6 Ollie ANNIS (11 Bayley MONTGOMERY 54), 7 Paul MILLER, 8 Joe SMITH, 9 Josh TUCKER (14 Paddy DOYLE 74), 13 Tommy AMPHLETT, 15 Coire MCGUIGAN – Substitutes not used: 10 Stuart MONTGOMERY, 20 Andy BANKS – Yellow cards: Miller 8, Smith 56, Higgins 56 – Red cards: Higgins 57, Miller 79
Floreat Athena: GK Fraser GREENWOOD, 2 Blair GOVAN (17 Callum FRANSZ 46), 4 Aryn WILLIAMS, 5 Bobby WILSON, 6 Clayton ARNEZ, 8 Jonathan STYNES, 11 Dennis GALAN, 12 Kris GATE, 14 Ludovic BOI, 18 Phillip ARNOLD, 20 Lewis MCMAHONSubstitutes not used: 15 Andrew SCALDAFERRO, 16 Raz GALOO, 23 Dejan ALEKSIC, 33 Matt FRANKEN

Referee: Josh Mannella