Stynes hits four to down the Rovers

Stynes hits four to down the Rovers

Posted on April 24, 2014 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup moved into the quarter finals of the State League Cup after a 5-2 win against Shamrock Rovers at the ECU Football Arena.

Jon Stynes scored four times for the home side, with Jake Benson-Cooper adding the other. “We were pleased with the lads’ efforts today. We asked for an improvement from Saturday’s game, and to be fair I thought the boys displayed that at times today,” assistant coach Craig Stevenson said. “We felt we were in control for the majority of the play and were disappointed we didn’t capitalise on more opportunities, but to be in the draw for the next round is exciting for the club.”

The home side were ahead after only 12 minutes, skipper Jon Higgins’ corner picked out Stynes, who headed home from close-range. It was 2-0 on 34 minutes; David Foster found space on the edge of the penalty area and played a great ball into the path of Stynes, who coolly finished from 6-meters. Rovers hit back three minutes later, a ball over the top caught ECU defence static, and Gino Hampshire got to the ball after hesitation at the back and poked it forward, and Ciarain Hoey got to the ball ahead of Andy Banks and finished well.

In first half stoppage time the visitors levelled. ECU keeper Banks failed to deal with an in-swinging corner and the ball dropped for Cassidy, who reacted the quickest and headed home from close-range. There was still time for ECU to go into the break in front. Foster sent Benson-Cooper through one-on-one with keeper Ash Crosthwaite, and he placed low into the corner of the net.

Shamrock started the better in the second half and created a number of chances but the final ball was lacking. ECU showed them how to do it and they added a fourth just after the hour. Stynes latched onto a long ball from Andy Higgins, rounded Crosthwaite and fired home into an empty net to complete his hat-trick. The result was put out of the reach of Shamrock on 77 minutes, and Stynes left his best till last. He picked the ball in the middle of the park, drove forward and chipped Crosthwaite from 20-yards.