ECU made to fight by Forrestfield

ECU made to fight by Forrestfield

Posted on April 7, 2014 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup were made to fight hard to reach the next round of the Cup, after a 3-0 win against a gallant Forrestfield United at the ECU Sports Arena.

Jon Higgins gave the home side the lead, before Jon Stynes (right) doubled it, moments later. Second half substitute Gareth Crawley scored his first senior goal for the club to wrap up the scoring. “I’m happy to get through the first round of the cup. It wasn’t the most entertaining of games but we did enough to get through,” said ECU Coach Dale McCulloch. “Once the game settled after 30 minutes we were quite comfortable, the only negative was sending off of Ryan Lowry.

It was the visitors who opened the brighter. Chris Perrott picked up the ball in the centre of the park in the opening minutes, and he wasn’t closed down, his long range strike was heading for the corner of the net, but Andy Banks tipped it over the crossbar to deny him. Forrestfield continued to press and Trent Wood and Rhys Loxley combined down the left, and Loxley’s low shot flashed inches past the post.

The home side settled and on the half hour they hit the front. Jon Higgins was given far to much space on the edge of the penalty area and he made them pay, firing home from 10-meters. The lead was doubled just before half time. Jon Higgins’ free kick was tipped onto the bar by Brad Eiffe and Stynes was quickest to react to fire home.

The home side lifted after the break and Stynes played a great through ball to Tommy Amphlett, but Eiffe produced a stunning save to deny him. Moments later Lee Jones sent Stynes in on goal, but the midfielder saw his shot crash off the post. Forrestfield looked to get back into the game early in the second half. Ben Fraser was sent clear down the left, he cut the ball back Jordan Hart who fired straight at Banks. Jones was a real handful for the Forrestfield defence and his shot on 70 minutes was tipped over bar Eiffe. The result was put out of reach of the visitors on 80 minutes; substitute Crawley firing home after good work from Amphlett.