Selyer on Target but Bayswater take the points

Selyer on Target but Bayswater take the points

Posted on April 19, 2013 in 'Reports'

A trio of first half goals paved the way for Bayswater City to extend their winning run to five games with a 3-1 defeat of home team ECU Joondalup.

But although Gustavo Catarcione, Todd Howarth and Steve Burton ensured a comfortable win for the league leaders. ECU Coach SalvTodaro took plenty of positives from Joondalup’s second 45 minutes. “We showed more endeavour, more passion and more desire in the second half. We stuck to our game plan and started to pass the ball, which meant we were able to play to our structure and started to get in behind the Bayswater defence,” said Todaro, who has juggled an ever-changing line-up this season. “I’ve been forced to make changes every week either due to injuries or player unavailability – last week I had six first team players watching training instead of actually training. We put in a very solid 45 minutes today, which is a good start, and will continue to work hard at training and bring this attitude into games.”

A strong start by the home team paid dividends in the 18th minute with Catarcione steering his header from an Andy Reale cross past Andy Banks in the Joondalup goal. The gap widened just five minutes later, Howarth elegantly gliding a free-kick past the defensive wall and beyond the reach of the goalkeeper. Burton celebrated his first start of the league campaign by putting goal number three on the board in the 37th minute, the striker finishing at close-range by sliding in to meet Reale’s low delivery. And the situation could have been a lot more dire for the home side had Banks not come out trumps from a one-on-one with John Kearney in the shadows of half-time.

Fired up by coach Salv Todaro, Joondalup returned to the park with intent. Igor Novakovic’s first time strike rocketed over the crossbar after a poor defensive pass was seized upon by Tommy Amphlett, who not too long after flashed a dead ball high of the target. The goal they sought finally arrived on 66 minutes, Selyer sliding past Devon Spence from 14-metres after being played through by Amphlett. Joondalup worked hard to pull back another goal and on 80 minutes Spence was at full-stretch in tipping an Amphlett shot onto the bar.

The closing stages were end-to-end, Joondalup searching desperately for a way to salvage their afternoon as Bayswater threatened to post another goal on the break. Coach Chris Coyne lamented his team’s inability to turn in a full 90 minute performance. “We have a philosophy and a discipline we are working towards and in the first half some of our football was outstanding,” Coyne told “At half-time I made the boys aware that (Joondalup) won’t give up and they have that mentality that they will try for 90 minutes. We made it hard for ourselves … we were very sloppy in the second half.”

ECU Joondalup: GK Andy BANKS, 3 Jack OLDHAM, 4 Dale MCCULLOCH, 5 Jon HIGGINS (2 Joe SMITH 34’), 16 Shaun TIMMINS, 7 Matty ITALIANO, 9 Tanner SELYER, 10 Tommy AMPHLETT, 11 Tony TAYLOR (17 John MONTEROSSO 82’), 13 Igor NOVAKOVIC (12 Joe KNOWLES 72’), 15 Scott BLACKMORE – Substitutes not used: RGK Todd HOYLE

Bayswater City: GK Devon SPENCE, 2 Patrick QUINN, 13 Trent KAYE, 4 John KEARNEY, 7 Larry MILLER, 8 Paul MCCARTHY, 6 Todd HOWARTH, 10 Damien CATALANO (20 Hassan ELYASSIR 76’), 12 Steve BURTON (9 Gustavo MARULANDA 70’), 11 Gustavo CATARCIONE, 5 Andy REALE (18 James ISIAH 61’) – Substitutes not used: RGK Gianni PAPALIA, 16 Dhour CHOL

Referee: Matt Southern – Assistant referees: Michael Jasinski, Alex Cook