Joondalup let it slip at Floreat

Joondalup let it slip at Floreat

Posted on April 12, 2013 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup have thrown away a great chance to kick start their season after their 2-2 draw against a ten man Floreat Athena at Litis Stadium. (By Football West Reporter Al Martin)

Joondalup skipper Dale McCulloch gave his side the lead just after the break, and Floreat then had defender Spencer Harris sent off. Benny Kouakou levelled on the hour, before Jon Higgins but Joondalup back in front. But Mark Pritchard levelled from the penalty spot with 10 minutes remained to salvage a point. “We’ve been making the same kind of mistakes so far and it’s something we need to stamp out quickly,” Joondalup assistant Coach Steve Amphlett said. “We’ve got players coming back, a strong squad that Salv (Todaro) has working hard and looking great in training, we just really need to convert that into matches and stamp out the silly mistakes.”

The first half was a tight affair with chances few and far between; the best fell to the visitors. A under hit back pass from Cameron Yorke gave Tommy Amphlett the opportunity; he rounded Brad Eiffe but blazed well wide. Benny Kouakou pace was causing Joondalup problems, but their best chance came from a set piece. Joondalup failed clear their lines from a corner and the ball fell to Pritchard on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot was well blocked by the alert McCulloch. Just before the break Joondalup went close again. Jon Higgins’ corner picked out McCulloch who rose highest but his header flashed inches over the bar from eight-yards.

It was a great start to the second half for Joondalup and five minutes in they were hit the front. Jon Higgins’ free kick picked out McCulloch and his glancing header beat Eiffe. It got worse for Floreat eight minutes later when an innocuous looking challenge involving Harris and Jon Higgins led to a bemused Harris receiving his marching orders from referee David Bruce. But the ten men hit back and levelled just after the hour mark. Kouakou was sent clear and calmly round Andy Banks and finish into an empty net.

The game was now end-to-end and both Kouakou and Amphlett were causing problems for their opponents, but Joondalup made their one man advantage count on 73 minutes. Jon Higgins found space on the edge of the penalty area and finished clinically past Eiffe. The home fans began to get behind Floreat and they were rewarded six minutes later. Second half substitute David Heagney was bundled over by Scott Blackmore and the referee pointed straight to the spot. Pritchard stepped up and confidently finished low past Banks to earn his side the point.

Floreat Athena 2 (KOUAKOU 62’, PRITCHARD pen 79’)

ECU Joondalup 2 (MCCULLOCH 50’, HIGGINS 73’)

Litis Stadium, Leederville

Kick-off: 3pm

Referee: David Bruce

Assistant referees: Adam Fielding and Zach Piccicacco

Crowd: Appx 300

Floreat Athena: 1. Brad EIFFE (gk), 2. Blair GOVAN (14. Alessandro VITELLI 76’), 4. Spencer HARRIS, 5. Cameron YORKE, 6. Mark PRITCHARD (c), 10. Francisco JORQUERA, 9. Ian MCMURRAY (3. Jack ALLEN 60’), 11. Benny KOUAKOU, 17. Chris RIZIDIS (21. David HEAGNEY 46’), 15. Matt SPURLING, 12. Michael RIZIDIS – Substitutes not used: 23. Jordan BARBAS

Yellow cards: JORQUERA 30’, GOVAN 42’

Red cards: HARRIS 58’

ECU Joondalup: 1. Andy BANKS,  2. Tommy JONES, 4. Dale MCCULLOCH (c), 16. Shaun TIMMINS (13. Igor NOVAKOVIC 66’), 7. Tommy AMPHLETT (3. Jack OLDHAM 76’), 8. Joe SMITH, 9. Tanner SELYER (17. John MONTEROSSO 72’), 10. Joe KNOWLES, 11. Tony TAYLOR, 15. Scott BLACKMORE 5. 5. Jon HIGGINS -Substitutes not used: Rgk Todd HOYLE

Yellow cards: MCCULLOCH 41’