Comyn-Platt makes the point for Joondalup

Comyn-Platt makes the point for Joondalup

Posted on July 20, 2013 in 'Reports'

A goal in the fourth minute of stoppage time from ECU Joondalup defender Charlie Comyn-Platt, has given the visitors a 2-2 draw against Bayswater City at Frank Drago Reserve. Todd Howarth and Steve Burton had given the home side a two goal buffer, before Ryan Townsend narrowed the margin on 56 minutes. Bayswater then had skipper John Kearney sent off in the 93rd minute, before Comyn-Platt’s last gasp leveller. “We were 2-0 down, and in the first half they tore us apart. The movement was frightening and to be fair they could have scored a couple more,” said Comyn-Platt. “But I thought we deserved something from the game, we have been there or their about for the last couple of weeks, so to get something from the game gives us confidence going forward.”

Bayswater opened brightly, Brain Farrell heading over a Todd Howarth corner on four minutes, before Gustavo Giron-Marulanda headed against the crossbar, again from a Howarth corner, three minutes later. Joondalup were defending desperately and on the quarter hour Ross Cosgrave and Giron-Marulanda combined to find Burton on the right, his first time shot whistled inches past the post. Farrell was a constant threat and he was given far too much space on the edge of the penalty area three minutes later but his shot was saved low by debutant Joondalup keeper Todd Hoyle. The home side had two penalty claims turned down for handball by referee Adam Fielding, as they continued to dominate.

Their pressure finally paid off on 36 minutes. Howarth’s free kick from the edge of the penalty area was deflected off the wall, and despite Hoyle getting a hand to it he couldn’t stop it going into the net. For all their dominance the home side had keeper Devon Spence to thank for going into the break with the lead. In the final minute Comyn-Platt found Joe Knowles, who skipped past Andy Reale on the right and his shot was well blocked by Spence. But the Bayswater custodian did even better from the rebound, a stunning low save to deny Knowles again, to send his side into the break with the lead.

The game looked over on 56 minutes when Bayswater added a second. A long ball over the top by Kearney sent Burton racing clear, and he finished clinically past Hoyle from 10-meters. Joondalup began to get into the game and on the hour Knowles picked out Caine on the edge of the penalty area, and his shot flew inches past the post. But on 67 minutes they were back in the game. Caine’s made space down the right and his pin-point cross picked out Townsend who headed home from four-meters. It was game on and two minutes later Joe Smith was sent clear down the right and his deep cross to the back post found Knowles, but his diving header went inches wide.

With Joondalup pushing men forward, Bayswater almost added a third. Farrell shot from the edge of the penalty area flashed wide on 85 minutes and two minutes later Damien Catalano shot on the turn went into the side netting. The game took another twist in stoppage time when Kearney was showed a second yellow card and sent off in the 93rd minute, and sixty seconds later Joondalup found the equaliser. Jon Higgins picked out Caine’s on the right, and the former Western Knights midfielder’s cross found its way to Comyn-Platt who fired home from close-range, much to the delight of the travelling supporters.

Bayswater City – GK Devon SPENCE, 2 Patrick QUINN, 4 John KEARNEY, 5 Andrew REALE, 6 Todd HOWARTH, 9 Gustavo GIRON MARULANDA (10 Damien CATALANO 64’), 12 Steve BURTON, 13 Trent KAY, 14 Ross COSGRAVE (18 James ISAIA 69’), 15 Brian FARRELL, 16 Jamie COYNE – Substitutes not used – GK. Gianni PAPALIA, 20 Hasan EL YASSIRI, 22 Chris SALDARIS

Yellow Cards – Kearney 43’, 93’, Giron-Marulanda 45’) – Red Cards – Kearney 93’

ECU Joondalup – GK Todd HOYLE, 2 Jack OLDHAM,  3 Jon HIGGINS, 4 Charlie COMYN-PLATT, 6 Jon STYNES (16 Dejan SPASESKI 79’), 11 Genaveo HUMAN (7 David CAINE 46’),  8 Joe SMITH, 10 Andy HIGGINS, 14 Joe KNOWLES, 19 Scott BLACKMORE (9 Tommy JONES 46’),  15 Ryan TOWNSEND – Subs not used – RGK Tim DOYLE, 12 Scott ROBERTSON

Yellow Cards – Caine 72’

Referee – Adam Fielding