Thornley brace sees Joondalup home

Thornley brace sees Joondalup home

Posted on July 27, 2012 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup moved out of the drop zone after beating their relegation rivals Bunbury Forum Force 4-2 at the Edith Cowen University Campus. (Photo by Brett Klucznik)

Steve Howson gave the visitors the lead early, but John Thornley levelled just before the break. Thornley then gave the home side the lead mid-way through the second half and John Higgins added the third moments later.  Aiden Savory penalty gave the visitors hope, but David Foster won the game, with the fourth late on. “It was a well-deserved win. I thought that we controlled the game for long periods and the build-up to the goals was exciting to watch. All four goals where finished with great skill by the players involved. The win was just reward for the team who have been working extremely hard over the last 3 weeks,” Joondalup Coach Salv Todaro said.

This was a real six-pointer at the foot of the table and it was the visitors who opened the scoring on 15 minutes. A perfectly weighted free kick from player-coach Matt Loch picked out the unmarked Howson, who controlled the ball and flicked it over the head of Joondalup keeper Andy Banks. The home side were struggling in the final third but were gifted a chance on the half hour mark. A poor back pass sent striker John Thornley in the clear one-on-one with Bunbury keeper Ryan Montgomery, but he slipped when rounding the keeper and the chance was lost. But on the stroke of half time the big striker levelled, Shaun Timmons finding him on the edge of the penalty area and he finished low past Montgomery.

After the break the tempo of the game lifted with chances at both ends but it was the home side who hit the front on 64 minutes. Tommy Amphlett, who had been a threat all afternoon, played a great through ball to Thornley who finished with aplomb past Montgomery. The goal deflated the visitors and seven minutes later it was 3-1, Higgins converting a free kick from the edge of the penalty area. It looked like the points were wrapped up but with ten minutes remaining Bunbury had a lifeline.

Referee Michal Jasinski pointing to the spot when Tommy Jones was adjudged to have handled Loch’s flick and Savory kept his nerve to fire home from the penalty.  It was game on again, with the visitors looking to win their first game away all season, but as they pressed forward they were caught out at the back when Joondalup added a fourth. A deep cross from Amphlett found Foster at the back post and the striker’s stunning diving header beat Montgomery to win the points and send the Joondalup supporters into raptures.

ECU Joondalup 4 (Thornley 45′, 64′, Higgins 71′, Foster 83′)

Bunbury Force 2 (Howson 15′, Savory 80′ pen)

Saturday, 14th July

ECU Joondalup, Joondalup

Local kick-off: 3:00pm

Referee: Michal Jasinski

ECU Joondalup: GK Andy Banks, 2 Tommy JONES, 3 Danny ALLEN, 4 Dale MCCULLOCH, 6 John HIGGINS, 7 Matt ITALIANO, 8 Shaun TIMMINS, 9 Tommy AMPHLETT, 10 John THORNLEY (14 Billy QUINNCROFT 83′), 12 David FOSTER, 16 Scott BLACKMORE – Substitutes not used:  5 Scott BUSHBY, 11 Mike ADAMCEZWICZ,  RGK Andy PETTERSON

Yellow cards: Tommy AMPHLETT 26′, Scott BLACKMORE 69′, Dale McCULLOCH 73′

Bunbury Force: GK Ryan MONTGOMERY, 2 Jarrod MORT, 3 Callum RICHARDSON, 4 James COGLEY, 5 Ryan RISDON, 6 Kyle KNIGHT, 7 Danny KANE, 8 Matt LOCH, 9 Aidan SAVORY, 10 Bright ABOBIE (12 Jayden PROSSER 74′), 11 Steve HOWSON

Substitutes not used:, 13 Lee STEWART, 14 Michael FARMER, 15 Carlo CHILTEMITE, RGK Liam REEVES

Yellow cards:  Kyle KNIGHT 48′, Jarrod MORT 63′, Steve HOWSON 90′