Lyons brace wins it for Lions

Lyons brace wins it for Lions

Posted on May 3, 2012 in 'Reports'

Stirling Lions striker Anthony Lyons scored a brace to inspire his side to a 4-2 victory against ECU Joondalup in an exciting encounter at The Edith Cowen University Complex on Saturday afternoon. (Photo by Brett Klucznik)

Matt Harold gave the Lions a perfect start scoring after only six minutes, before Lyons added a second just after half time. David Foster’s stunning volley gave the home side hope, but Phil O’Callaghan restored their two goal buffer from the penalty spot. Another Lyons goal put the game beyond ECU, although Foster added a consolation goal in stoppage-time. “It was a tight first half and we got ourselves back in the game at 2-1 and  the turning point was the 3rd goal which I thought was a foul on Dale before I brought the striker down in the box,” said a disappointed ECU keeper Andy Banks. “We’re just not getting the decisions off the officials recently, but I hope they will even themselves out before the end of the season.”

Joondalup, who are still looking for their first home win of the season, got off to the worst start, when the Lions opened the scoring on six minutes. Matt Harold wasn’t closed down on the edge of the penalty area and the midfielder curled a shot over Andy Banks. The home side hit back and went close four minutes later, Tommy Jones’ cross picked out Foster, but his header was straight at Cory Hugo. It was Jones again on the half hour, he was found down the right by Scott Bushby, but his cross into the penalty area failed to find any of his team mates. The home side were on the front foot, but instead could’ve fallen two goals behind if Andy Brown had not headed wide from close-range late on.

The Lions began the second half well and five minutes in they added a second. Matt Harold released Lyons down the right; his cross deceived Banks and crashed off the bar. The rebound fell to Brown who played in Jon Stripe, who crossed for Lyons to head home. Rather than let their heads drop, ECU went straight back on the attack and four minutes later they pulled one back. Shane Doyle was given far too much time and space in the middle of the park and his cross was volleyed home spectacularly by David Foster.

Stirling hit back and regained their two goal advantage six minutes later. Lyons won possession and strode into the area, he rounded Banks, but was caught on the way through, and referee Mathew Cheeseman had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. O’Callaghan stepped up to take the penalty; Banks got fingertips to it, but couldn’t keep it out. The game was made safe on 70 minutes when Stirling added a fourth. O’Callaghan slipped a perfect through ball into Lyons, who finished clinically past Banks. To Joondalup’s credit, they kept fighting until the final whistle and managed a late consolation when Foster nodded home his second after a Tanner Selyer shot was palmed out by Cory Hugo.

ECU Joondalup: GK Andy BANKS, 2 Fraser McGUIRE, 3 Shane DOYLE (13 Michael CURRIE 65′), 4 Dale McCULLOCH, 6 Scott BUSHBY, 5 Scott BLACKMORE, 14 Matty ITALIANO, 8 Rob DRAPER, 9 David FOSTER, 10 Tommy JONES (12 Mike ADAMCEWICZ 73′), 11 Tanner SELYER – Substitutes not used: RGK Ellis COMPTON, 15 Steve SOKOL

Yellow cards:  Andy BANKS 58′,  Rob DRAPER 85′

Stirling Lions: GK Cory HUGO, 2 Michael PUGLIESE, 5 Clayton ARNEZ, 7 Jamie DE ABREU, 8 Andy BROWN, 10 Phil O’CALLAGHAN, 11 Dennis GALAN, 16 Matt HAROLD (12 Adam LUCA 76′), 9 Anthony LYONS (14 Kyran NUNES 84′), 6 Jamie TANDY (15 Andy HAROLD 65′), 3 Jon STRIPE – Substitutes not used: 4 Jason GAVIN, 20 Drew JENKE

Yellow cards: Michael PUGLIESE 38′,  Jamie DE ABREU

Referee: Mathew Cheeseman