Foster heads home late to earn a point

Foster heads home late to earn a point

Posted on May 7, 2012 in 'Reports'

A late David Foster goal has denied The Football West National Training Centre their first win of the season, after a 3-3 draw against ECU Joondalup at The Edith Cowen University Arena. (Photo by Brett Klucznik)

The visitors raced to a 2-0 half time lead with an own goal and a Blamo Quaqua strike, but Joondalup hit back to level with Tommy Jones and Foster on target. It set up a thrilling finish, and Jordan Dodd regaining the lead for the NTC before Foster headed home with seven minutes remaining to salvage a point for Joondalup. “I was very disappointed with our first half performance, but full credit to the boys whose reaction in the second half was fantastic. In the end we’re happy with a point after being 2-0 down at the break, but at the same time disappointed we didn’t get all three points with the way we finished the game,” said ECU Coach Salv Todaro

Former Perth Glory midfielder Tommy Amphlett lined up for his former club, and the home side thought they had the lead early. Amphlett’s shot was spilled by Luke Radonich and Foster was on hand to fire home, but their celebrations were cut short with the linesman’s flag up for offside. NTC hit back and went close moments later; Moses Kalau’s long-range shot was saved by Andy Banks, while Borbor Sambindi was also denied by the ECU custodian. NTC made their pressure count with the lead on 28 minutes. Kalau, who was causing all sorts of problems for the ECU defenders, again shot from distance, but this time it took a wicked deflection of an ECU defender and wrong footed Banks.  It was 2-0 four minutes later, Quaqua wasn’t closed down on the edge of the penalty area, and his shot flew past Banks.

Joondalup hit back six minutes into the second half. A quick counter attack saw Jones sent clear down the right, the striker cut inside and finished low past Radonich. It was game on and Amphlett was on fire for the home side. He was sent clear by Dave Calder, and beat Radonich to the ball, but his shot drifted just wide of the post. Moments later his fierce shot was well saved by Radonich, but on 66 minutes Amphlett was the provider as Joondalup levelled. His defence-splitting pass sent Jones clear, and his cross from the right was fired home by Foster at the back post.

The home sides celebrations, however, were short-lived, as two minutes later NTC regained the lead. Dodd cut inside from the right, beat two Joondalup defenders before finishing low past Banks. The home side went in search of the equaliser and Radonich had to be alert to save Fraser McGuire’s long-range shot. NTC were hitting on the counter attack and Slobodan Vulic should have done better after he skipped clear of Nick Davies, but he blazed wide, before Radonich came to his sides rescue again with a stunning save to deny Scott Bushby. It looked like the NTC would hang on for the three points but Foster had other ideas. In the 83rd minute Bushby’s cross from the left picked out Foster at the back post to nod home. The home side could have won it late, Foster flicked on Amphlett’s pass, to Jones, who stabbed the ball agonizingly wide of the post.

ECU Joondalup: GK. Andy BANKS, 2. Fraser McGUIRE (14. Rob DRAPER 74′), 3. Shaun TIMMINS, 4. Dale McCULLOCH, 5. Nick DAVIES (15. Scott BLACKMORE 88′), 6. Scott BUSHBY, 7. Matty ITALIANO (13. Cameron BURGESS 41′), 8. Dave CALDER, 9. David FOSTER, 10. Tommy AMPHLETT, 11. Tommy JONES – Substitutes not used: RGK. Ellis COMPTON, 12. Tanner SELYER

NTC: GK. Luke RADONICH, 2. Beelan HARGREAVES, 3. Dhour CHOL, 4. Storm ROUX, 5. Riley WOODCOCK, 6. Jacob COLLARD, 7. Borbor SAMBINDI (12. Mohamed BEYAN 46′), 8. Blamo QUAQUA (13. Lawrence SHURUMA 45′), 9. Jordan DODD, 10. Slobodan VULIN, 11. Moses KALAU (14. Jack IREDALE 88′) – Substitutes not used: 15. Sahr MUSA

Referee: David Costello