Under 18’s edge out Bayswater

Under 18’s edge out Bayswater

Posted on July 10, 2011 in 'Reports'

ECU 18’s v BAYSWATER 25 JUNE 2011 – by Trevor Chapman

This game was a tale of two halves as ECU emerged 4-3 winners against a spirited Bayswater side.

Both teams had a number of changes to make following injuries, suspensions and transfer activity and it was ECU who took early control after they were awarded an 11th minute penalty.  The referee penalised the Bayswater Full Back for a fairly harmless looking challenge in the box.  Liam Chapman stepped up to convert and give ECU the lead. Henry Durr, Gonzo Paddon and new signing Liam McGurk were all troubling Bayswater with their speed and off the ball running and two delightful long balls from Chapman to McGurk caused a few nervous moments for Bayswater.

In the 15th minute ECU failed to adequately clear a Bayswater corner and it came tot eh edge of the box where a stunning 20 metre drive went just wide.

Another quality through ball in the 39th minute, this time from Durr, caused all sorts of panic in the Bayswater defence and Paddon won the ball, rounded a defender and then pulled the ball back from the goal line to the oncoming McGurk, who just failed to connect.  Minutes later Paddon was in the action again, this time using his pace against the two centre backs and as the Bayswater ‘Keeper advanced Paddon placed the ball around him and then glided in to tap in for a 2-0 half time lead.

The second half started much the same with ECU by-passing the midfield area and playing long balls to the two strikers.  In the 53rd minute the formula was once again successful as Paddon chased down a delightful through ball from Gareth Hamilton headed the ball into the path of Liam McGurk alongside him and McGurk took the ball first time and drive a delightful half-volley past a despairing Bayswater keeper.  3-0 to ECU and it looked like game over for Bayswater.  Bayswater had other ideas, however.

A 63rd minute corner landed in the ECU box with several ECU players around the ball but astonishingly no-one managed to get their boot to the ball and clear it.  3-1 to ECU and Bayswater saw their chance of a comeback.  This looked all the more likely six minutes later when more hesitation in the ECU box led to a second goal from Bayswater.  Suddenly the ECU nerves were tingling and Bayswater were applying all the pressure.

ECU managed to restore a two goal lead in the 75th minute when a delightfully flighted free kick from Hamilton was met by Danny Dixon to power his header into the top corner.  There were more anxious moments for ECU though as Bayswater piled on the pressure in search of the two goal deficit.  And six minutes from the end they managed to get one more back.  A good run down the left wing and a nice cross into the box  should have been dealt with by ECU keeper, Ellis Compton – or one of several defenders – but again there was no challenge and no communication and it was left to the Bayswater Centre Forward to head home.  There were some nervous moments in the final minutes but ECU managed to hold on for a 4-3 win to stay in touch with the top four.


Tha should give instructions to plant potato seeds in our midfield area, Trevor, as our lads never use it!!!’