Ten men ECU beat Swan in penalty shoot-out to reach Cup final

Ten men ECU beat Swan in penalty shoot-out to reach Cup final

Posted on July 10, 2011 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup reserves have beaten first division Swan United 4-2 on penalties, after the game ended 1-1 at full time, to reach the final of the State League Reserves Cup, in a tense game at Dorrien Gardens Saturday morning.

Scott Bushby gave the Premier League side the lead on 35 minutes, but they lost Luke Smith with a straight red card midway through the second half, and United substitute Sebastian De Cotter fired home the equaliser five minutes from time. ECU keeper Brynn Hindley was the hero in the shoot-out saving two spot kick, to keep the current cup holders in line for back-to-back cup triumphs.

It was an even opening with chances at both ends. First on two minute, Jordan Withey cut into the area from the left, his powerful shot flashed inches past the post. Then two minutes later United’s midfielder Adam Pygrum’s corner was headed straight at Hindley by Robert Shepheard.

Withey was causing problems down the left and on 22 minutes his ball into the penalty area seemed to hit the arm of United’s skipper Niall Murphy, but referee John Taran waved away their protests. Then three minutes later it was Withey again finding Bushby on the edge of the box, but his shot flew over the top.

The Premier League side were dominating and on 28 minutes Jarrad McNally found Max Pope, his snap shot was saved low by Jordan Howell, and moments later Bushby’s long-range shot whistled inches past the post.

ECU’s domination was rewarded with the lead on 35 minutes. A great run at the heart of the United’s defence by Jake Benson-Cooper, ended with a ball to Bushby on the edge of the box, his shot beat Howell to give David Tough’s side a well-deserved lead at the break.

The game took another twist four minutes into the second half when Smith’s poor tackle on United’s midfielder Robert Ftynogiannis ended with a straight red card for the defender, and Ftynogiannis limped off, replaced by De Cotter.

United looked to make their extra man count and they went close on 56 minutes. Scott Campbell’s through ball sent Nattapong Narongphunt in on goal, Hindley was out quick but his attempted clearance was blocked by the striker, putting him in on goal, but unfortunately the ball crossed the bye-line with the goal at his mercy.

ECU were now hitting on the counter attack and on 64 minutes Withey’s pace took him clear down the left, his cross picked out substitute Nick Maplestone in the penalty area, but his shot was straight at Howell who saved.

Midway through the second half United’s coach Mick Skowran moved defender Chris Atkinson up front and it had immediate impact, and United began to dominate.

First on 77 minutes Atkinson released Jordan Brown down the right, he picked out Campbell, whose lob from the edge of the box was well saved by the alert Hindley. Then moments later Atkinson’s shot from the edge of the box was well held by Hindley, as United looked for the equaliser.

Then five minutes from time they were rewarded with the equaliser. A great run down the left by De Cotter, ended with him cutting inside Ryan Lowry and into the penalty area, finishing clinically past Hindley from six-yards.

Both sides pushed for the winner in normal time but it wasn’t to be, so it was down to the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

ECU keeper Hindley saved Pygrum and Narongphunt spot kick’s and despite Max Pope’s miss; Andy Brown won it for the Premier League side sending Howell the wrong way to give them a 4-2 win on penalties.

ECU Coach David Tough was a relived man after the game. “I knew it was going to be hard game, in cup games the form book goes out the window. The send-off changed the game, I believe we would have gone on and won it in normal time, but penalties were good enough, with Brynn making two good saves in the shoot-out,” said Tough.

United Coach Mike Skowran, although disappointed, was proud of his players. “It was a very good performance against a top team from the Premier League, but unfortunately it came down to penalties and today wasn’t our day,” said Skowran.

In the earlier Under 18’s Semi-Final Bayswater City caused a huge upset beating joint league leaders ECU Joondalup 4-2 to reach the final.  Sebastian Melis was the hero for City scoring a hat-trick, with Zeljko Petrovic scoring the other. Alex Paddon and Daniel Dixon were on target for ECU.

State League Reserves Cup Semi-Final

Swan United 1 (De Cotter 85’) ECU Joondalup 1 (Bushby 35’)

(ECU won 4-2 on Penalties)

Date – 9th July 2011 – Venue – BGC Stadium – Dorrien Gardens

Referee – John Taran

Swan United – GK Jordan HOWELL, 2 Niall MURPHY, 3 Chris ATKINSON, 4 Jordan BROWN, 5 Nattapong NARONGPHUNT, 7 Robert FTYNOGIANNIS (9 Sebastian DE COTTER 54’), 8 Adam PYGRUM, 10 Scott CAMPBELL, 11 Cristian CATALANO, 12 Chris MARSHALL – Subs not used – Nil

Yellow Cards – Nil

ECU Joondalup – GK Brynn HINDLEY, 2 Luke SMITH, 3 Lee THOMSON, 4 Andy BROWN, 5 Ryan LOWRY, 6 Josh BROOKS, 7 Jake BENSON-COOPER (8 Shane PICKERING 78’), 9 Jarrad MCNALLY (12 Nick MAPLESTONE 60’), 10 Max POPE, 11 Jordan WITHEY, 14 Scott BUSHBY – Subs not used – 13 Jamal WEST, 15 Alex SALLERY, 16 Brendon NUNEZ

Yellow Cards – Brooks 22’, Bushby 33’, Benson-Cooper 65’

Red Cards – Smith 49’