Pickering stunner wins it for ECU

Pickering stunner wins it for ECU

Posted on August 21, 2011 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup Reserves have taken out the 2011 ‘Donate Blood’ State League Reserves  Cup final after a stunning 20-yard strike from second half substitute Shane Pickering won the game 2-1 for David Tough’s side against first division side Shamrock rovers at Macedonia Park.

It looked like the game was heading for a penalty shoot-out, before Pickering, who had only been on the pitch for 15 minutes, fired home a screamer to break the hearts of the brave Shamrock side and give back-to-back cup wins for the ECU youngsters..

The win was married somewhat, after a horrific injury to ECU’s Josh Brooks, the midfielder was carried off the field with a broken ankle after a 50-50 tackle with Rovers defender Simon King.

ECU skipper Andy Brown, who was outstanding at the heart of the defence, was delighted with the win. “It was a good result for us today, although we didn’t play that well. It doesn’t matter because that’s a sign of a good team,” said Brown.

“It was hard in the first half against the wind, but we still had a few chances. But it’s always tight in a cup final and today was no exception.”

ECU coach David Tough went into the game without Sebastian Franssan, Jordan Withey and Max Pope, but they made a perfect start when they awarded a penalty in the opening minutes. Andy Brown was brought down in the penalty area and referee David Johnson pointed straight to the spot. Scott Bushby stepped up but his spot kick crashed off the post and way to safety.

With that let off it was Rovers who began to take control of the game and went close to the lead on 16 minutes. A ball over the top sent Patrick Byrne clear, he beat ECU keeper Brynn Hindley to the ball but his lob went inches wide of the post.

Rovers’ winger Steven Guest was causing all sorts of problems down the flanks and his cross into the box on 20 minutes was only inches away from the head of the diving Byrne in the six-yard box.

The swirling wind was causing problems but as the half ended ECU pressed and went close two minutes before the break. Lee Thomson fed Jake Benson-Cooper, who weaved his way past three Rovers defenders, but his low shot was well saved by Jonathan Parker.

With the breeze behind them ECU opened up well and went close three minutes in. Brook’s corner from the left was dropped by Parker, and Adam Walsh was alert to clear the ball off the line.

Moments later it was Brooks again whose pass was flicked on by Benson-Cooper, and Bushby’s shot from 14-yards was saved low by Parker.

That was the final action for Brooks, he was stretched off the pitch with a broken ankle after a 50-50 tackle with Rovers’ defender Simon King, who also left the pitch for treatment, but returned minutes later.

It was Rovers who were now getting on top. Byrne headed wide from Daniel McCurdy’s cross on the hour mark, and moments later McCurdy’s shot from the angle was saved low by Hindley.

Their pressure was rewarded with the lead on 69 minutes. Guest’s corner from the left was fired home by Billy Barron from close-range.

That lead lasted for sixty seconds as ECU hit straight back to level. Bushby’s long-range shot was palmed away by Parker, but second half substitute Alex Paddon was the first to react to fire home the rebound from close-range.

It was game on, but it took another twist moment later when Mark Tebbutt was shown a straight red card by the referee for a poor tackle.

ECU Coach made a quick change bringing on Pickering for Jamel West, but it was Rovers who were now in control. Byrne was sent clear on 77
minutes, but Hindley was out quick to save. Then seven minutes later Brain Foley’s shot from the edge of the box beat Hindley but crashed off the base of the post and away to safety.

It looked like it was going to the dreaded penalty shootout but nobody told Pickering. The 17-year-old picked the ball on the left, cut inside and unleashed a missile into the top corner of the net, to hand the cup to ECU Joondalup.

ECU Coach David tough was delighted with the win. “It’s a great day for our club, but we didn’t play well today. We knew it was going to be a hard game; they are a big strong side. But the lads fought it out right to the end and it was a cracking finish from Shane (Pickering),” said Tough.

“We’ve all but won the league and add the cup to that we’ve had a phenomenal season, I’m proud of the lads. It was tainted a little with the injury to Josh (Brooks), we all wish him a speedy recovery.”

‘Donate Blood’ State League Reserves Cup Final

Saturday 20th August 2011

ECU Joondalup 2 (Paddon 70’, Pickering 90’ +1)

Shamrock Rovers 1 (Barron 69’))

Venue – Macedonia Park

Referee – David Johnson

Assistants – Ross Sardi and Matthew Southern

Fourth Official – Gabriele Merlacco

ECU Joondalup: GK Brynn HINDLEY, 2 Luke SMITH, 3 Jamal WEST (12 Shane PICKERING 74′), 4 Ryan LOWRY, 5 Andrew BROWN, 6 Mark TEBBUTT, 7 Josh BROOK (14 Alex PADDON 57′), 8 Scott BUSHBY, 9 Jake BENSON-COOPER (13 Alex SALLARY 90+1), 10 Jordan DODD, 11 Lee THOMSON – Subs not used: Nil

Yellow Cards – Nil – Red Cards – Tebbutt 71’

Shamrock Rovers: GK Jonathan PARKER, 2 Simon KING, 3 Michael ATKINSON (12 Adam WALSH 29′), 4 Brian FOLEY, 5 Michael BOLAND, 6 Shane McCARTHY, 7 Billy BARRON, 9 Patrick BYRNE, 11 Stephen GUEST (14 Peter HEARTY 74′), 13 Daniel McCURDY, 15 Will PENDER

Subs not used: RGK Justin SCARVACI, 8 Dayle MILLS, 10 Steve FORDE

Yellow Cards – King 45’