ECU re-finds their goal scoring touch to beat Floreat

ECU re-finds their goal scoring touch to beat Floreat

Posted on May 12, 2011 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup bounced back into the winners circle by defeating Floreat Athena 3-2 on a sunny afternoon at Edith Cowan University Arena. Charlie Comyn-Platt, Ross Anderson and John Stynes found the back of the net to earn Joondalup maximum points for the first time six weeks and keep the northern suburbs club within touching distance of the top five. I’m delighted for the players and relieved as well after going such a long time without a goal,” said Coach Syd Amphlett.

“Nothing much has gone right for us recently in terms of refereeing decisions and missed chances, but today I was extremely proud of the boys in their application and desire. Some of the football was the best we have played for a while and we created a host of chances in first 25 minutes (as we have done the last few games) This time a goal went in , much to the relief of everyone.

“The last 10 minutes was nervy as Floreat gave everything they had. A poor free kick was given away on the edge of the area, from which they scored, which set up an anxious last few minutes. They did have the ball in the net but it was a clear offside. As stated at the start of the season, everyone can beat everyone in this league and other than the Balcatta game, each result was in the balance. A long way to go but we have reached halfway and we are still on target to hit the top five by season end.”

Floreat got play underway but quickly found themselves on the back foot to a dominant home team, who asserted themselves with three corners in the opening five minutes. Joondalup’s reward came on 18 minutes when Jordan Withey send a corner to the far post from where Comyn-Platt made no mistake. There was no let up from the home team whose tidy passing and focus on attack left their opponents chasing the ball. Floreat eventually found their rhythm and in the 37th minute drew level with Callum O’Connell heading Jarrad Smith’s cross from the left.

Joondalup reclaimed the lead eight minutes into the second half when Jon Higgins’ in-swinging corner rebounded off the crossbar before being lashed into the net by Ross Anderson. The pace now quickened and in the 72nd minute substitute Stynes increased the home teams’ advantage only minutes after coming off the bench.

With the clock ticking down Mark Pritchard gave Floreat hope of salvaging something from the afternoon with a free-kick from distance that beat Andy Banks. It looked as though Floreat snatched a point when Smith netted in stoppage time, however, his effort was disallowed for offside.

Floreat assistant coach, Taki Nicoladis, said despite the boys putting in the effort at the end, it was too little too late. “Joondalup were a lot hungrier on the day and first to most balls and put away their chances, so full credit to them.”

ECU Joondalup: GK Andy BANKS, 2 Ryan McDARBY, 3 Chris WHYLIE, 4 Charlie COMYN-PLATT, 5 Ross ANDERSON, 6 Jordan WITHEY (10 John STYNES), 7 John HIGGINS, (8 Scott BLACKMORE), 9 John THORNLEY, 12 Matt ITALIANO, 14 Sebastian FRANSSAN, 18 Dale McCULLOCH

Substitutes not used: 11 Ross LAING, 16 Ian McMURRAY, RGK Brynn HINDLEY

Floreat Athena: GK Alex DUNN, (3 Jarrod BELFORD), 4 Julian MADASCHI, 5 Jarrad SMITH, 8 Michael VAN DONGEN, 9 Paul VAN DONGEN, 10 Liam BOLAND, 12 James ISAIA, 13 Dan TREVISOL, 14 Mark PRITCHARD, (15 Callum FRANZ), 16 Ante KOVACEVIC, 18 Callum O’CONNELL

Substitutes not used: RGK Simon MADASCHI, 2 Curtis PRIOR, 6 Miki VUJACIC