Jacks move into the FFA Cup fifth round

Jacks move into the FFA Cup fifth round

Posted on April 6, 2021 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup have moved into the next round of the FFA Cup (WA) after a 3-0 win against State League Division One side Fremantle City at the ECU Football Stadium on Monday afternoon.

It was a tight first half with chances at both ends, but it was Kenny Lowe’s side that opened the scoring eight minutes into the second half with Daryl Nicol in target.

The Scottish striker added a second eight minutes from time, before Danny Hodgson wrapped up the tie with a third in stoppage time. (Photos by Debra Massey)

“We’re glad to be in the hat for the next round, but we had to work for it,” Head Coach Kenny Lowe said.

“They (Fremantle) were well organised and the game could have been a banana skin for us, but I thought we managed the game well and scored three good goals and kept a clean sheet, so it was a good day for us.”

Fremantle arrived at the Campus after a big win against UWA Nedlands in their opening league game, and they went close in the opening minute, Charlie Parry’s shot was well saved by Jacks’ keeper Johnny Perkins.

The Jacks hit back and Jakub Prajza’s cross from the right found Chris Harold, but his shot flashed inches past the post, but it was scoreless at the break.

But it was the Jacks who made the breakthrough on 53 minutes, a superb defence splitting through ball from Shane Cassidy sent Nicol racing clear, and he finished clinically past Jordan Barbas.

Fremantle weren’t going down without a fight, and they went close to an equaliser when Parry’s effort was well blocked by Jeremy Tshongo.

Moments later Hayden Stevens saw a header crash off the post and cleared off the line by the alert Cassidy. It was a typical cup tie, but it was the Jacks who doubled their advantage.

Nicol had scored his first goal for the club since returning to the Campus at Inglewood on Thursday, and he was at it again on 82 minutes.

He received the ball in the penalty area, but he still had work to do, the striker cutting back onto his left foot and drilling the ball past Barbas.

It was a blow for the visitors, who had been very competitive in an entertaining game, and they conceded a third in stoppage time, with the Jacks sealing the win.

A poor clearance from Barbas fell to Hodgson in his own half, the strikers first time shot sailed over the stranded keeper and into the net to seal a 3-0 win.

Nicol was happy with the win and the performance, against a good Fremantle side.  “It was a very good win against a side who were more than capable of causing an upset,” the striker said,

“But I thought our attitude and performance was top class and we look forward to the draw for the next round.”

Match Details

FFA Cup Round Four – Monday April 5

ECU Joondalup 3 (Nicol 53’, 82’, Hodgson 90+1’) Fremantle City 0

ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, 2 Jeremy TSHONGO, 3 Nelson TSHONGO, 4 Declan HUGHES, 6 Sami RIAK, 7 Danny HODGSON, 9 Daryl NICOL, 10 Andy HIGGINS, 11 Chris HAROLD, 12 Jakub PRAJZA, 16 Shane CASSIDY – Subs: RGK Joe POLLARD, 8 Tom HOUGH 14 Ben RUTTER, 15 Luke DAVIS 17 Sebastian GOMEZ

Fremantle City – GK Jordan BARBAS, Joshua MACRI, Hayden STEVENS, Matthew BROOK, Todd HOWARTH, Corey TOWIE, Matthew SPARROW, Chris THACKRAY, Callum STOCKS, Charlie PARRY, Adriano JELENOVIC – Subs: Sam MCKEARNEN, Shale MOOTHEN, Maxwell – Referee: Steven Gregory