Jacks beaten by Glory

Jacks beaten by Glory

Posted on July 26, 2020 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup have been beaten 1-3 by a very good Perth Glory side in Saturday’s NPL-WA game at 1620 Capital Stadium, Hartfield Park.

The Jacks went into this one with a number of first team missing due to injury and unavailability, and they found themselves behind just before half-time with Bryce Bafford on target.

A quick second half double from Charlie Leech and another from Bafford secured the points, although the Jacks continued to press and scored late through Ben Hinshelwood, the strikers second goal in as many games.

Click here to listen to post-match interview with skipper Johnny Perkins

Click here to listen to post-match interview with Head Coach Kenny Lowe

Head Coach Kenny Lowe had some defensive headaches for this one, with Shane Cassidy, Ross Millard and Ewan Fawcett unavailable from the side that beat Sorrento last week.

He had to shuffle the pack making five changes with skipper Johnny Perkins, Luke Rhodes, Tommy Amphlett, Sami Riak and Ethan Brooks came into the starting line-up, with keeper Joe Pollard and Hinshelwood taking their place on the bench.

It was a sombre day at the ground, the former club of Rod Banjac, who tragically passed away in midweek and the coaches, players, officials and spectators stood in a minute’s silence in memory of the football great.

The home side started brightly, and Perkins had to be alert to save from the lively Bafford, before Danny Hodgson almost caught Glory keeper Sam Reilly out with an audacious long-range shot which drifted inches over the top.

Perkins produced another smart save to deny Glory skipper’s Giordano Colli, before Luke Bodnar got back with a great last-ditch tackle to thwart Leech on the half hour.

Perkins was in the action again moments later, this time producing a finger tip save to deny Rawlins. But two minutes before the break Glory hit the front. Rawlins was the provider finding Bafford who finished low past Perkins.

The Jacks went within inches of equalising in stoppage time, Riak’s ball found Amphlett who raced towards goal and let fly from 20 meters, his shot crashing off the crossbar, bouncing down on the line and away to safety.

It was a bright opening from the Jacks and Bodnar’s shot from the angle was saved by Reilly. But on 52 minutes the hosts doubled their advantage. Bafford sending Aidan Edwards down the right, his low cross was turned home by Leech at the back post.

The Jacks had a penalty claimed turned down on the hour, second half substitute Dor Jok’s ball into the box found Callum Timmins, who was bundled over, but referee Tom Glavovic was well placed and waved away the Jacks protests.

But on 64 minutes Glory added a third. The Jacks gave the ball away at the back and Leech crossed to Bafford, who made no mistake.

The Jacks continued to press forward and Glory keeper did well to save Hodgson’s curling free kick, before Hodgson’s long-range shot whistled inches past the post.

Their late pressure was rewarded in the second minute of stoppage. Jok made space down the left, and his low cross was turned home by Hinshelwood from close-range, but it was too little too late.

In the early games the under 18’s went down 2-0, while the under 20’s were beaten 6-1, with Manasw Abandelwa scoring for the Jacks

The Jacks are back home next week from they host Armadale at the ECU Football Stadium. See you at the game #prideofthenorth

Perth Glory: GK Sam REILLY, 2 Mason TATFU, 5 Nick WALSH, 6 Lewis TUCKER (18 Fraser DUNLOP 69’), 7 Jack PAINTER-ANDREWS (16 Joseph FORDE 81’), 8 Jayden LEADER (17 Aidan EDWARDS 39’), 9 Bryce BAFFORD, 10 Giordano COLLI, 11 Charlie LEECH, 13 Alessandro CIRCATI, 22 Josh RAWLINS – Subs not used: RGK Kade WHITE, 15 Aiki TSUKAMOTO

ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, 2 Luke RHODES (8 Tom HOUGH 46’), 4 Riley WARLAND, 5 Ryan LOWRY, 6 Sami RIAK, 7 Danny HODGSON, 10 Andy HIGGINS, 11 Ethan BROOKS (14 Ben HINSHELWOOD 53’), 12 Callum TIMMINS, 13 Tommy AMPHLETT (6 Dor JOK 53’), 18 Luke BODNAR (9 Bayley BROWN-MONTGOMERY 76’)  – Subs not used: RGK Joe POLLARD – Referee: Tom Glavovic