Jacks draw at Bayswater

Jacks draw at Bayswater

Posted on August 5, 2019 in 'Reports'

The Jacks have drawn 1-1 at Bayswater City at Frank Drago Reserve on a wet and windy Saturday afternoon in week 18 of the Football West NPL.

Dale McCulloch’s side were ahead just before half time with Bayley Brown-Montgomery on target, but they conceded the equaliser moments later with Jake Sardelic scoring. There were chances at both ends after the break the best falling to the Jacks but they had to settle for a point. (Photos Courtesy of Bayswater City)

McCulloch made one change to the side that drew with Perth Glory last week, with Billy Quinncroft returning from suspension to replace Josh Whitmore, who was serving a one-week ban.

It was a lively start to the game, and it was City who had the first opportunity with Gustavo Giron-Marulanda’s dangerous ball into the box was well cleared by the alert Shane Cassidy. Moments later a great run by Joe Knowles, but his long-range shot was wide of the target. Brent Griffiths then tried his luck from long-range, but again it sailed over the top.

Former Jacks striker Gordon Smith then blazed over from the edge of the box, but the game started to settle down. The Jacks had the best chance on 16 minutes, Andy Higgins sent Knowles down the right, he cut inside the box and cut the ball back to Henry Durr, whose shot on the run was well save by Devon Spence, and the rebound was fired over the top by Brown-Montgomery.

Knowles goal bound shot was then blocked by Todd Howarth as the Jacks looked for the opener. But on 38 minutes it looked like Bayswater had the lead, when Giordano Colli’s corner was only cleared to Howarth on the edge of the box and his volley flew past Johnny Perkins.

But after consulting his assistant referee Steven Gregory disallowed the goal with Giron-Marulanda was in an offside position and in in the line of vision of the Jacks custodian, much to the displeasure of the Bayswater bench, and Giron-Marulanda was booked for his protests.

Daryl Nicol was then sent in on goal by Jason Mirco, but Perkins stood tall to deny the former Jacks speedster, before Brown-Montgomery found space on the right and his ball across goal was inches away from Tom Hough.

But on 43 minutes the Jacks hit the front. Higgins’ free kick was flicked on by Billy Quinncroft, and Knowles cut the ball back across goal and Brown-Montgomery fired home from close-range. But sixty seconds later the home side levelled, Giron-Marulanda ball across the face of goal wasn’t dealt with and Jake Sardelic finished from close-range to send the sends into half time all square.

Smith was in on goal in the opening minute of the second half, but Perkins saved well to deny him, before Ollie Annis’ free kick flew over the top. Knowles was a constant threat and his shot from the edge of the box was saved by Spence on 54 minutes.

The rain was falling but the football was end-to-end and Smith blazed over again after being found by Nicol, before Nick Koefler and Higgins combined down the left to send Knowles in, and he cut the ball back to Brown-Montgomery, but the striker sliced his shot from six meters.

Bayswater went close again on the hour, Smith sending Mirco down the right and his cross found Giron-Marulanda but the Columbian’s header was straight at Perkins. Knowles then tried his luck from long-range and Spence saved low at his post, and the keeper was up quick to save Brown-Montgomery’s follow up shot, then from the resulting corner Cassidy headed over the top from six meters.

The Jacks had another great chance, nine minutes from time when Knowles was crudely fouled by Griffiths on the edge of the penalty area, and the former Glory striker was lucky not to see a second yellow card from the referee.

Knowles picked himself up and he curled the free kick around the wall but spence got down well to claw it away, the ball falling to Quinncroft who fired wide of the target.

Then moments later Griffiths found space in the box, but with the goal at his mercy he fired wide, then Sean McManus’ cross shot was saved well by Perkins, before Howarth’s follow up shot flew over the top, but at the final whistle both sides had to settle for a point.

Match Details 

Bayswater City 1 (Sardelic 44′) ECU Joondalup 1 (Brown-Montgomery 43′)

Bayswater City: GK Devon LINDEMANN, 6 Todd HOWARTH, 9 Gustavo GIRON-MARULANDA (14 Sean MCMANUS 74’), 10 Jason MIRCO, 13 Trent KAY, 17 Daryl NICOL, 18 Brent GRIFFITHS, 19 Gordon SMITH, 20 Giordano COLLI (12 Steve HESKETH 67’), 24 Jake SARDELIC, 27 Ross MILLARD (16 Hamish VAN DIEKEN 76’) – Subs not used: RGK Sam REILLY, 30 Adam TONG
ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, 3 Nick KOEFLER, 4 Henry DURR, 5 Shane CASSIDY, 6 Oliver ANNIS (11 Lukas DE LIMA 76’), 7 Joe KNOWLES, 9 Bayley BROWN-MONTGOMERY (13 Fraser DUNLOP 79’), 10 Andy HIGGINS, 12 Billy QUINNCROFT, 14 Ewan FAWCETT, 15 Tom HOUGH – Subs not used: RGK George JACKSON, 8 Kian MCGUIGAN, 16 Ryan MCDARBY – Referee Steven Gregory