Jacks left frustrated in scoreless draw

Jacks left frustrated in scoreless draw

Posted on March 11, 2018 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup were left frustrated after their 0-0 draw against Subiaco in Week 3 of the NPLWA at the ECU Football Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Subiaco keeper Ryan Montgomery was the hero produced a couple of stunning saves to deny Daryl Nicol and Gordon Smith to make sure his side went home with the point. To make matters worse for the Jacks they ended the game with nine men after Declan Hughes and Shane Cassidy were sent off in a bizarre ending to the game, even though there wasn’t one bad tackle in the game and the referee produced 10 yellow cards and two reds.

Click here to listen to Jacks defender Shane Cassidy’s post-match interview

It was a blustery day in the north, and the home almost had the perfect start in the opening minute. Adan Tong played Nicol in down the right, he eased past his marker but his cross shot was blocked away for a corner.  Subiaco settled and looked dangerous going forward, with former Jacks winger Josh Booysen and David Perich a constant threat.

They went close on 12 minutes, Steve Purton’s long-range shot flew over the top, before the busy Alex Randell snap shot from the edge of the penalty area flashed wide. It was a tight battle and both sides had late chances. First Montgomery got down well to save Ross Millard low drive, before Randell’s free kick was saved low by Johnny Perkins.

The home were on the front foot early in the second half and Hughes’ volley went inches wide, before Montgomery came into his own. Tommy Amphlett picked out the unmarked Nicol in the box, his first time shot from the angle was superbly saved by the Subiaco custodian. Moments later Andy Higgins’ corner was met sweetly by Smith, but Montgomery saved well to deny him.

The home were well on top but they couldn’t find a way past the Subiaco keeper. Amphlett tried his luck but his shot was pushed away by Montgomery, and he was up quick to save Smith’s follow up shot. But on 82 minutes the home side were reduced to ten men when Hughes was given a second yellow card by referee Alex Best, much to the disbelieve of the ECU bench.

Subiaco couldn’t take advantage of their numerical advantage, there best chance fell to Asher Nelson who fired over the top.  Things got worse for the Jacks when Cassidy received a second yellow card, but the nine men held on for a point.

ECU Joondalup: GK Johnny PERKINS, 3 Ross MILLARD (13 Tommy AMPHLETT 46’), 4 Shane CASSIDY, 5 Adam TONG, 6 Lukas DE LIMA (7 Cameron MURRAY 69’), 8 Josh WHITMORE, 9 Daryl NICOL, 10 Gordon SMITH, 11 Andy HIGGINS, 15 Declan HUGHES, 18 Cian HIRRELL – Subs not used: RGK Jack NUNN, 2 Jack JONES, 12 Ethan BROOKS – Yellow Cards: Millard 27’, Smith 33’, Hughes 44’, 82’, Amphlett 65’, Cassidy 85’, 94’ – Red Cards: Hughes 82’, Cassidy 94’

Subiaco: GK Ryan MONTGOMERY, 4 Alex RANDELL, 5 Daniel PEARCE (9 Rory FEELY 64’), 6 Jackson DONGRAY, 10 Asher NELSON, 11 Joshua BOOYSEN (15 Albert LUWI 71’), 12 Nathan SMITH, 14 Ross JARMAN (13 Fanuel DAWIT 90’), 16 Steve PURTON, 17 Alex CASTIELLO, 18 David PERICH – Subs not used: RGK Teophile BROWN, 19 Ian MCMURRAY – Yellow Cards: Castiello 57’, Randell 69’, Nelson 71’ – Referee: Alexander Best