Skipper leads ECU to victory

Skipper leads ECU to victory

Posted on August 18, 2017 in 'Reports'

A brace from skipper Gordon Smith has helped ECU Joondalup to hard fought 2-1 win against Subiaco, in their round 19 catch-up game at Dorrien Gardens on Wednesday evening.

The Scottish striker opened the scoring on the half hour, but Nathan Smith leveled for Subiaco on the hour. Both sides had good chances to win it, but it was Gordon Smith who won it, firing home with ten minutes remaining.

Click here to listen to Coach Dale McCulloch and Gordon Smith post-match interviews

The original game was washed out, but this one was a tight affair, with clear cut chances few and far between early, the best chance fell Subiaco on 17 minutes, Carlin Feely cross shot was pushed away by Fraser Greenwood. But it was ECU who opened the scoring on 32 minutes. Steven McGarry started the move sending Daryl Nicol down the left, his cross picked out Gordon Smith, who finished clinically past Ryan Montgomery.

Both sides had chances as the game sprung to life, Alex Randell’s free kick was tipped over the top by Greenwood, before Gordon Smith saw his shot cleared off the line by Steve Purton. Subiaco ended the half well and Purton’s long-range shot was saved by Greenwood, before the ECU custodian reacted well to tip over Randell’s free kick late.

The Jacks should have doubled their lead early in the second half, Pollard’s goal bound shot was cleared off the line by Nathan Smith, before McGarry’s follow up shot was blocked by some desperate defending from Subiaco. That great defending became more important, as five minutes later Subiaco levelled. Good lead up play ended with Nathan Smith racing into the box and the defender finished low past Greenwood.

Nicol was causing Subiaco problems down the right, and his shot on the run was saved low by Montgomery, but on 80 minutes it was the Jacks who won it. A deflected through ball picked out Gordon Smith at the back post, and his shot into the ground beat Montgomery at his near post. Nicol was in again four minutes later, but his shot was tipped over the top by Montgomery, and the speedy winger fired inches wide moments later.

Subiaco pressed late, and Ian McMurray turned his marker in the box, but Jack Jones got back with a great last ditch tackle as the striker was prepared to pull the trigger. It was Subiaco ending the game the better looking for the equaliser, and they forced two late corners, and even keeper Montgomery went up for them, but The Jacks hung on to take the points.

Subiaco 1 (Nathan Smith 59’) v ECU Joondalup 2 (Gordon Smith 31’, 80’)

Subiaco: GK Ryan MONTGOMERY, 4 Alex RANDELL, 6 Steve PURTON, 9 Ian MCMURRAY, 10 Owen COATES, 11 Carlin FEELY, 12 Nathan SMITH, 14 Ross JARMAN (5 Matt CLARK 87’), 16 Asher NELSON (7 Robert HARDING 83’), 17 Alex CASTIELLO, 18 David PERICH – Subs not used: RGK Hamish ST GEORGE, 3 Ger FITZGERALD, 8 Mike LAWSON – Yellow cards: McMurray 48’, Purton 71’

ECU Joondalup: GK Fraser GREENWOOD, 3 Ross MILLARD, 4 Steven MCGARRY 5 Graham DORAN (15 Rikki SMITH 76’), 6 Shane PICKERING, 7 Kevin MOON, 8 Declan HUGHES, 9 Daryl NICOL, 10 Gordon SMITH (13 Ben HINSHELWOOD 91’), 11 Samuel POLLARD (12 Fraser GARNAUT 90’), 17 Jack JONES – Subs not used: RGK Jordan YOUNG, 16 Tom HOUGH – Yellow cards: Hughes 36’, Smith 43’ –

Referee: David Bruce