Jacks pay the penalty late in Quarter-Finals

Jacks pay the penalty late in Quarter-Finals

Posted on May 21, 2017 in 'Reports'

A penalty in the final minute has seen Cockburn City beat ECU Joondalup under 18’s 3-2 in an entertaining State League Cup Quarter-Final at Dalmatinac Park on Saturday morning.

The Jacks were cruising at half time with goals from Callum Speed and Kieran Craig, but the home side hit back to level with goals from Harry Collins and Izaak Kobilanski. It looked like penalties but in the final minute Cockburn won a penalty and Issac Hulbert stepped up to win it for the Cockerels.

Click here to listen to under 18’s coach Dean Pickering and skipper Tom Hough post-match interviews.

It was the home side who opened the brighter and Denzal Tshuma went one-on-one with Jacks keeper Will Parkes, he rounded the keeper but took the ball too far and the chance was gone. But on 21 minutes the Jacks took the lead. A ball over the top from Ewan Fawcett sent Speed in on goal, and he cleverly lobbed the oncoming Cockburn keeper Ben Radonich.

Cockburn should have levelled with Tshuma having two one-on-one’s with Parkes, but the young keeper saved bravely on both occasions. Ethan Casey went close to a second for the Jacks on 28 minutes, but his shot drifted wide of the target, but two minutes later they did add a second. They won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and Craig curled the ball around the wall and into the bottom corner of the net.

It was nearly three on 42 minutes, skipper Tom Hough sent Craig down the right, he raced past his marker and crossed into the box, but it was inches away from Josh Carroll at the back post. The home side had one last chance to pull one back before the break, with Harry Collins sent clear, but Parkes was out quickly to save at his feet.

The Jacks opened the second half well on top, Carroll raced into the box and pulled the ball back to second half substitute Corey Hyde, his shot was superbly saved by Radonich. Moments later Hough stung the palms of the Cockburn custodian, as they looked to but the game to bed, but on 66 minutes Cockburn pulled one back. Good work on the wing by Hulburt, his cross was turned home by Collins, and it was game on.

Both sides went close as the game opened up. Firstly Carroll fired over for the Jacks after good work from Fawcett, before Hulbert fired wide after good work by Tayler Starkey. But on 75 minutes it was Cockburn who levelled. A ball into the box wasn’t dealt with and Kobilanski made them pay firing home.

It looked like going to the dreaded penalty shoot-out, but in the final minute Jacks defender retaliated to a Cockburn player in the box, and referee Jake Friend pointed straight to the spot. The referee booked the young defender, his second yellow card and sent him off.  Hulbert held his nerve to send Parkes the wrong way and win for the Cockerels.

Match Details

Cockburn City 3 (Collins 66’, Kobilanski 75’, Hulbert 90’ pen) v ECU Joondalup 2 (Speed 21’, Craig 30’)

Cockburn City under 18’s: GK Ben Radonich, 3 Tayler Starkey, 50 Denzel Tshuma (54 Izaak Kobilanski 68’), 55 Jake Robinson, 58 Jesse Lippert, 60 Dane Meerally, 61 Breckan Baker, 63 Callan Adam, 64 Ella Mastraninio (62 Issac Hulbert 55’), 65 Evano De Pontes (38 Oleg Tarshina 79’), 66 Harry Collins – Subs not used: 53 Ronan Cowley, 59 Jonah Madeira – Yellow Cards: Baker 28’, Lippert 30’

ECU Joondalup under 18’s: GK Will Parkes, 2 Ewan Fawcett, 3 Danny O’Shea, 4 Miki Imre, 6 Tom Hough, 7 Kieron Craig, 8 Ethan Casey, 10 Callum Speed, 11 Josh Carroll, 15 Zac Welch, 19 Ben Hinshelwood – Subs not used: 12 Corey Hyde, 16 Chris Ciobanu, 17 Ben Gan, 20 Ben Martens – Yellow Cards: Hinshelwood 54’, O’Shea 59’, 90’, Fawcett 72’) – Red Card: O’Shea 90’ – Referee – Jake Friend