Jacks leave Bayswater with a point

Jacks leave Bayswater with a point

Posted on April 17, 2017 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup produced a great performance to come away from the Finance 365 Arena with a 2-2 draw. The Jacks scored two goals in as many minutes in the first half, with a stunner from Daryl Nicol and Tommy Amphlett on target. But Borbor Sam pulled one back before half time and Devon Gibson levelled five minutes from time.

Click here to listen to post-match interviews with defender Logan McIsaac and Head Coach Dale McCulloch

McCulloch made two changes to the side that beat Subiaco last week with Ross Millard and Tommy Amphlett coming into the side with Jon Higgins and Stefan Vranesevic missing out.

The Jacks were on the back foot early with Bayswater dominating. Jason Mirco’s free kick was saved by Fraser Greenwood, before Gustavo Giron-Marulanda first time shot flashed wide of the target. Moments later Sam shot drifted wide of the target, before David Heagney’s curling shot flicked the crossbar.

But in their first attack, the Jacks hit the front, with a stunner from Nicol. There looked little danger when the ball fell to Jacks midfielder but his 20 meter curling shot gave Devon Spence no chance. It went from bad to worse for the home side when the Jacks doubled their lead sixty seconds later.

Sam Pollard won possession in the middle of the park and fed Gordon Smith who sent Amphlett into the right of the penalty area, and the former Perth Glory midfielder finished clinically. Bayswater were shell-shocked but were back in the game sixty seconds later. A long clearance from Spence wasn’t dealt with and Sam finished from the edge of the penalty area.

The Jacks were in again on the half hour, Pollard robbed David Stokoe and sent Smith in one-on-one with Spence, but the Bayswater custodian stood tall to deny him. Both sides had late chances in an entertaining end to the half. First a superb through ball from ECU defender Ross Millard sent Smith in again, but Spence again denied the Scottish striker. Then in stoppage time a Mirco corner picked out Brent Griffiths, but the Bayswater midfielder’s shot was saved by Greenwood.

Bayswater keeper Spence produced a stunning save early in the second half to deny the Jacks. Smith slipped in Amphlett in on goal, but his shot on the run was superbly saved the Bayswater custodian. Sam then cut inside the box, his powerful shot was parried by Greenwood, and Shane Pickering was alert to clear the danger.

The home side were starting to take control of the game, and second half substitute Luka Ninkovic thought he had levelled moments after coming on, but his shot was superbly saved by Greenwood at full stretch.

Bayswater were well on top, but ECU were dangerous on the counter-attack and Kevin Moon’s snap shot whistled inches past the post. Time was running out for the home side and Moon got back at the other end on 84 minutes to clear Stokoe’s header off the line. But their pressure was rewarded sixty seconds later, Gibson finding a pocket of space in the penalty area to fire home,

The Jacks almost nicked the three points in the final minute of stoppage time. Smith wriggled past two defenders on the right and headed goalwards, but with James Owen’s free in the box for a tap in, the striker went for goal and hit the side netting. In other games the under 18’s lost a nine goal thriller, 5-4 against Bayswater, while the under 20’s were beaten 2-0.

The Jacks are back in action on Monday in the Fourth Round of the FFA Cup when they host State League Division Two side Morley Windmills

Bayswater City 2 (Sam 23’, Gibson 85’) v ECU Joondalup 2 (Nicol 21’, Amphlett 22’)

Bayswater City: GK Devon SPENCE, 8 Paul MCCARTHY (19 Luka NINKOVIC 61’), 9 Gustavo GIRON-MARULANDA, 10 Jason MICRO, 11 Devon GIBSON, 12 David STOKOE, 13 Trent KAY (C), 17 BorBor SAM, 18 Brent GRIFFITHS (23 Andrija JUKIC 83’), 20 Sam MITCHINSON, 21 David HEAGNEY (3 Jack ALLEN 61’) – Subs not used: RGK Michael COHEN, 2 Declan HARGREAVES – Yellow Cards: Griffiths 33, Giron-Marulanda 57, Allen 72, Sam 94

ECU Joondalup: GK Fraser GREENWOOD, 3 Ross MILLARD, 4 Shane PICKERING, 5 Logan MCISAAC, 7 Kevin MOON (8 Danny MILNE 92’), 9 Daryl NICOL (15 James OWEN 52’), 10 Gordon SMITH (C), 11 Sam POLLARD, 13 Tommy AMPHLETT, 14 Steven MCGARRY, 18 Cian HIRRELL – Sub not used: RGK Todd HOYLE, 2 Ben JOHNS, 12 Declan HUGHES – Yellow Cards: McGarry 84 – Referee: Tom Dowle