Jacks bow out of QBE Night Series

Jacks bow out of QBE Night Series

Posted on January 30, 2017 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup’s QBE Night Series campaign came to end after a 0-2 defeat against Bayswater City at Inglewood Stadium.

Both sides had good chances in a tight entertaining game but goals from Trent Kay and Borbor Sam in the last fifteen minutes won it for Chris Coyne’s side. ECU Coach Dale McCulloch said it was a disappointing result but said they (Bayswater) had been in training for four weeks longer than them and it showed in the end. (Photo – Daryl Nicol in action)

“Yes disappointed with the result but I thought both sides created a number of chances and it could have gone either way,” he said. “We rode our luck at times but so did they, but we all know we need to tighten up. But saying that, that’s only our second competitive game and it probably showed near the end.”

McCulloch said the young lads performed well and it bodes well for the season ahead. “The new lads have just come in and are fresh, and three of the back four are new to the side, and are still trying to understand the way we play our game,” he explained. “But this competition is great for us and it’s all about progression, and to make sure we’re ready for the first game of the season.”

“We did struggle in the final third tonight but that’s not a concern for me, I know the quality we have up there, but decision making at times let them down, and it’s something we’ve got to learn from.”

Both sides created chances in the first half Andrija Jukic hit the post for Bayswater, and Fraser Greenwood was alert to deny Luka Ninkovic, and Steven McGarry cleared Kay’s of the line, before Daryl Nicol was thwarted by Devon Spence, and Gordon Smith’s shot flashed wide of the target for ECU.

City got on top after the break and the lively Ninkovic fired inches wide, before Borbor Sam shot crashed off the post, while McGarry saw his header bounce off the crossbar moments later. Spence then came to City’s rescue saving superbly to deny Nicol on 72 minutes, and that save became more important two minutes later when City hit the front. Todd Howarth’s free kick was headed home by skipper Trent Kay from eight meters.

ECU looked to hit back and Jayden Drummond raced into the box, but his shot was straight at Spence. But three minutes from time the result was made safe. Sam, who was a constant threat down the flanks, cut in from the left and eased past two ECU players before finishing low past Greenwood, to send Bayswater into the Semi-Finals.

Skipper Gordon Smith said the players gave it their all but couldn’t find the goal. “We had chances but we couldn’t convert tonight,” he said. “It’s only our second game of the pre-season and we’ve got three weeks to go to the start of the season, and to get the match sharpness. Personally I’m only 60% match fit so the more game time I can get will hold me in good stead for the season opener.”

Match Details

ECU Joondalup 0 Bayswater City 2 (Kay 72′, Sam 87′)

Referee; Adam Fielding

ECU Joondalup – GK Fraser Greenwood, 2 Ben Johns, 3 Cian Hirrell, 4 Steven McGarry, 5 Nathan Diaz, 6 Logan McIsaac, 8 Kevin Moon, 9 Daryl Nicol, 10 Gordon Smith (7 James Owen 83’), 11 Paddy Doyle (15 Sam Pollard 67’), 13 Tommy Amphlett (14 Jayden Drummond 78’) – Subs not used – RGK Dave Keenan, 16 Ethan Kerridge – Yellow Cards: Amphlett 36’, Diaz 41’, Johns 83’

Bayswater City – GK Devon Spence, 2 Declan Hargreaves, 6 Todd Howarth (21 David Heagney 76’), 10 Jason Mirco, 11 Devon Gibson, 12 David Stokoe, 13 Trent Kay, 17 Borbor Sam, 19 Luka Ninkovic (22 Jamie Murphy 88’), 20 Sam Mitchinson, 23 Andrija Jukic (15 Brian Farrell 63’) – Subs not used – RGK Michael Cohen, 16 Ayden Dragun – Yellow Cards: Sam 10’, Kay 25’, Hargreaves 74’, Mirco 78’, Ninkovic 85’