Back-to-back wins for Jacks against Subiaco

Back-to-back wins for Jacks against Subiaco

Posted on April 14, 2017 in 'Reports'

ECU Joondalup made it back-to-back wins for the first time this season after a 4-1 win against Subiaco at the ECU Football Stadium in week eight of the PS4 National Premier League WA on Saturday afternoon.

Daryl Nicol gave the home side the lead midway through the first half with his fifth goal of the season, before Steven McGarry doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time. Gordon Smith made it 3-0, before Carlin Feely pulled one back for the visitors, but Smith’s second, also his fifth of the season, wrapped up the points and give them back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

Click here to listen to defender Shane Pickering and Head Coach Dale McCulloch’s thoughts on the win

McCulloch made just the one forced change, with Ben Johns missing due to injury, he was replaced by Stefan Vranesevic, to make only his second appearance in the first team, and good news on the bench with Tommy Amphlett and Danny Milne recovering from injury.

It was a lively opening with both sides going close early. First on three minutes Smith was denied by Ryan Montgomery, and moments later David Perich’s header sailed over.  The home side were convinced they had a penalty on 13 minutes, after Smith headed Nicol’s cross goalwards, but Alex Castiello got back to clear off the line. But the Jacks players, coaches and supporters thought the defender had handled on the line, but referee Steven Gregory waved away their protests.

But that was all forgotten on 24 minutes, when the Jacks hit the front. Kevin Moon won possession in the middle of the park and fed Smith, who played in Nicol on the left of penalty area, and he finished clinically past Montgomery. Subiaco went close to the equaliser two minutes later, Rory Feely played a one-two with Perich on the edge of the penalty area, sending the midfielder in on goal, but Fraser Greenwood spread himself well to deny him.

Greenwood had to be alert again moments later, as the Jacks failed to clear a corner and Perich’s first time shot was saved low by the Jacks custodian.  But in the shadows of half time the home side added a second. Smith was brought down by Castiello just outside the penalty area, and McGarry curled the resulting free kick around the wall and into the corner of the net. Subiaco still had time to half the deficit before the break, but Greenwood produced a great low save to deny Rory Feely and send his side to the break with a two goal lead.

It was more of the same after half time with both sides looking dangerous going forward. Perich fired wide for Subiaco, before Moon and Smith did likewise for ECU. But on 72 minutes the home side added a third. McGarry’s ball over the top sent Smith racing in on goal, he held off his marker and lobbed the on-coming Montgomery. Montgomery then saved well to Jon Higgins, as the Jacks looked to but the game to bed, but on 76 minutes Subiaco hit back.

Carlin Feely was sent down the right channel, and he raced in the penalty area and finished well past Greenwood. Subiaco were giving as good as they got, with Perich outstanding in the middle of the park, but it was the Jacks who had the final word, adding a fourth ten minutes from time. Great work from Pickering on the left, the big defender’s cross on the run picked out Smith, who guided his header into the corner of the net to seal a hard-earned three points.

The Jacks are back in action next weekend with a trip to Frank Drago Reserve – or the Finance 365 Arena to take on Bayswater City.

ECU Joondalup 4 (Nicol 24’, McGarry 44’, Smith 72’, 80’) v Subiaco 1 (Carlin Feely 76’)

ECU Joondalup: GK Fraser GREENWOOD, 2 Stefan VRANESEVIC, 4 Shane PICKERING, 5 Logan MCISAAC, 6 Jon HIGGINS (C) (12 Danny MILNE 83’), 7 Kevin MOON, 9 Daryl NICOL (13 Tommy AMPHLETT 46’) (15 James OWEN 79’), 10 Gordon SMITH, 11 Sam POLLARD, 14 Steven MCGARRY, 18 Cian HIRRELL – Subs not used: RGK Todd HOYLE, 8 Declan HUGHES – Yellow Cards: Pickering 93

Subiaco: GK Ryan MONTGOMERY, 7 John LOCKHART, 8 Mike LAWSON (6 Jonas DORLING 75’), 9 Rory FEELY, 11 Carlin FEELY, 12 Nathan SMITH, 13 Jordan CANDISH (10 Owen COATES 71’), 14 Ross JARMAN (16 Ian MCMURRAY 62’), 17 Alex CASTIELLO 18 David PERICH, 19 Stefan HILL – Subs not used: RGK Hamish ST GEORGE, 15 Henock BUTSHIRE – Yellow Cards: Hill 23’, Castiello 43’, Carlin Feely 80’ – Referee: Steven Gregory