Montgomery-Brown sends ECU under 20’s in to Cup Semi-Final

Montgomery-Brown sends ECU under 20’s in to Cup Semi-Final

Posted on May 20, 2016 in 'Reports'

A goal in the 100th minute from ECU Joondalup striker Bayley Montgomery-Brown has given the Jacks under 20’s a 1-0 win against Perth Glory in the Football West State League Reserves Cup at Grindleford Reserve on Saturday.

ECU had keeper Todd Hoyle to thank for keeping them in the game the custodian making a number of important saves, but the winner came with the last kick of the match. Ollie Annis’ corner wasn’t dealt with by the Glory defence and Montgomery-Brown bundled the ball over the line from close-range.

Coach Howard Tweats said the players were outstanding and said their efforts were rewarded with the win. “We knew it was going to be tough, so we changed our game plan from last week to try and stop them playing, and we knew our chances would be limited and players needed to get behind the ball,” he said. “We spoke about it coming down to one good chance for us, and we got it right at the end, so we’re all delighted to be in the Semi-Final.

“They had some good opportunities but the lads showed a great deal of heart and got some great tackles in, and Todd (Hoyle) was outstanding again in goal and pulled off some great saves.

“It was a great team effort today, we were well beaten by them last week, but we did have five players unavailable, but we worked hard at training on Thursday to keep the shape we wanted, we lost it a few times and they went close, but overall a great win.”

The Glory opened brightly and Ismail Atak shot flashed over the top, before Ollie Annis did likewise for the Jacks. Hoyle had to be alert on 10 minutes, spreading himself well to deny Chok Dau. Hoyle was outstanding and he pulled off another telling save to deny Jacob Mussafa moments later.

ECU went close to the opener on the half hour. Annis played the ball out to Jonny Hulme on the left, his low cross was inches away from James Owen in the six-yard box. Hoyle was in the action again just before half time, this time saving 11’s lob from the edge of the penalty area.

There was a long delay just after half time when Glory keeper Riley Stevenson was injured in a clash with Montgomery-Brown.

The pair was involved again on the hour, this time Stevenson saved low from Montgomery-Brown’s shot on the turn. It was end-to-end football and Abu Dulleh’s shot was well saved by Hoyle, while Keylun Pollard long-range whistled just over the top.

Annis tried his luck on 80 minutes, his shot drifting wide, before Dau was sent clear, his shot beat Hoyle, but Stefan Vranesevic got back to clear the ball off the line. ECU almost won in the third minute of stoppage time, Malton crossed to Hulme, his first time shot was pushed onto the bar by Stevenson.

ECU then won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and Annis’ free kick picked out Owen at the back post, his shot was pushed around the post by Stevenson.

But from the resulting corner ECU won it. Annis whipped in a teasing set-piece, which was dealt with by the Glory defence and Montgomery-Brown was on hand to bundle the ball over the line from close-range, to set off celebration from the players. It was the last action of the game with referee Brendan Skinner blowing the final whistle before the Glory could re-start the game.

Match Details

Perth Glory 0 v ECU Joondalup 1 (Montgomery-Brown 90+10’)

Perth Glory: GK Riley STEVENSON, 2 Ben JOHNS, 3 Jo MARINO, 4 Jack IREDALE (13 Jaxon TEMATA 46’), 5 Brodie LANGAN, 6 Jack LEECH, 7 Ignacio DOMINGUEZ (15 ABU DULLEH 67’), 8 Sam POLLARD, 9 Chok DAU, 10 Yacob MUSTAFA, 11 Ismail ATAK (14 Losene DULLEH 46’) – Subs not used: 12 Tyron TORRE, 16 Jesse McEWAN – Yellow Cards:  Nil

ECU Joondalup: GK Todd HOYLE, 2 Ryan MALTON, 3 Nicholas KOEFLER, 4 Roland RIXER (15 Lee HALLIDAY 54’), 5 Stefan VRANESEVIC, 6 Coire MCGUIGAN (14 Jaedon EWEN 61’), 7 Keylun POLLARD, 8 Ollie ANNIS, 9 James OWEN, 10 Bayley MONTGOMERY-BROWN, 11 Jonny HULME – Subs not used: 12 James BRUCE, 18 Liam FYFE, 19 Erik LOPEZ HERNANDEZ – Yellow Cards: Pollard 69’, Owen 90+1’

Referee: Brendan Skinner