Jacks’ season ends in penalty shoot-out defeat

Jacks’ season ends in penalty shoot-out defeat

Posted on September 8, 2016 in 'Reports'

After a stunning second half to the PS4 NPLWA season and going 13 games unbeaten, ECU Joondalup’s West Australian Top Four Cup campaign came to an end after a dramatic 5-6 penalty shoot-out defeat against Inglewood United in the Preliminary Final at Inglewood Stadium on Wednesday evening.

The Jacks raced to a 2-0 lead at half time with Michael McDougall and Paddy Doyle scoring, but the home side hit back after the break with substitute Adam Tong pulling one back just after the hour, before Brian Woodall sent the game into extra time.

Inglewood then lost Tim Robertson in the first period of extra time, after receiving a red card, and Bayley Brown-Montgomery regained the lead for the Jacks.  But the ten men of Inglewood levelled five minutes from time with Woodall’s second sending it to penalties, and the home side won out 6-5 in the shoot-out.

“We are hurting right now, but we really should have put that one to bed early, but that’s football,” Tough said. “We’ve made some massive strides forward this year as a club, and had a magnificent season and have shown the rest of the league what we are all about, we will take some time to get over this but it will push us on to repeat it next season.”

“It’s a lottery when it gets down to a penalty shoot-out and we had five numbers and couldn’t get the six to win the big prize, but we move on and the coaching staff couldn’t have been happier with how the players have performed as a group this season.”

It was a lively opening with both sides going close early, Woodall’s cross-shot was cleared behind for a corner and Tommy Amphlett’s shot flashed wide. McDougall, who came in for the injured Kevin Moon, saw his long-range shot saved low by Alex Dunn, while at the other end Kenny Keogh and Ashley Rosindale both had headed chances go wide.

But in the shadows of half time Joondalup struck a double blow. First, McDougall wasn’t closed down by the Inglewood defence and his shot from 25 meters flew into the top corner. The Joondalup fans had only just got back in their seats when they doubled their lead. Daryl Nicol’s in-swinging free kick was glanced into the far corner by Doyle.

Inglewood needed a lift and introduced Adam Tong on the hour, and he pulled one back six minutes later. He latched onto a ball over the top, and finished with aplomb, lobbing the on-coming Lewis Italiano. Then with 13 minutes remaining the make shift striker won a penalty, after he was brought down by Ryan Lowry and referee Matthew Southern pointed straight to the spot.

Woodall stepped up to score to level it up. The home side almost won it late, Calum O’Connell’s corner picked out Keogh, who could only find the side netting. Inglewood were reduced to ten men in extra time, when Robertson pulled back Nicol’s shirt as he was in on goal, and referee Southern showed him a straight red card.

Joondalup made their numerical advantage count moments later, Andy Higgins’ free kick was turned home by Bayley-Montgomery. But Inglewood weren’t finished and remarkably they levelled five minutes from the end. Scott Witschge’s cross from the byline was turned home by Woodall.

A dramatic shootout followed where both sides missed chances to win before Dunn saved Jayden Drummond’s kick on the ninth round of penalties. Jason Barrera then kept his cool to finish the decisive spot-kick and edge Inglewood United into Saturday’s final.

Inglewood United 3 (Tong 66′, Woodall 77’pen, 115’)

ECU Joondalup 3 (McDougall 40’, Doyle 43’, Brown-Montgomery 104’)

Inglewood United: GK Alex DUNN, 3 David CYRUS, 4 Scott BLACKMORE, 6 Calum O’CONNELL, 7 Kenny KEOGH, 8 Jason BARRERA, 9 Brian WOODALL, 10 Ashley ROSINDALE (12 Scott WITSCHGE 99’), 11 John MIGAS, 13 Josh PEREIRA (5 Adam TONG 64’), 18 Jason COLLI (17 Tim ROBERTSON 59’) – Subs not used: RGK Scott WALLIS, 20 Alex SHIDA-LIVINGS – Yellow Cards: Cyrus 8’, Blackmore 59’ – Red Cards: Robertson 101’

ECU Joondalup: GK Lewis ITALIANO, 2 Ryan LOWRY, 3 Rikki SMITH, 4 Steven MCGARRY, 5 Andy HIGGINS, 6 Shane PICKERING, 9 Daryl NICOL, 11 Cian HIRRELL, 13 Tommy AMPHLETT (18 Bayley BROWN-MONTGOMERY 99’), 15 Michael MCDOUGALL, 19 Paddy DOYLE (7 Jayden DRUMMOND 79’) – Subs not used: RGK Todd HOYLE, 8 Oliver ANNIS, 12 Ryan MCDARBY – Yellow Cards: Doyle 31’, Nicol 90’, Brown-Montgomery 111’.

Referee: Matthew SOUTHERN