Cup Final Heartbreak for Jacks

Cup Final Heartbreak for Jacks

Posted on July 29, 2016 in 'Reports'

Bayswater City have come from behind to beat ECU Joondalup 4-2 to win the Cool Ridge Reserves Cup Final at Dorrien Gardens.

The Jacks led at half time thanks to Ollie Annis’ goal, but Bayswater lifted after the break and a brace from skipper Alex Wild helped them to victory.

“We started off strong and had some good chances early on, and going in at half time 1-0 up was a positive and we were told it was in our hands,” Annis said. “Conceding two goals early made it difficult, but we showed character to pull one back.

“We created chances throughout the second half and just weren’t good enough in the final third. It was disappointing, but it was a good run by the team and we hope to continue this good form for the rest of the season.”

ECU Joondalup’s Howard Tweats said he was immensely proud of his young side’s performance, despite the result. “Days like today, we take it on the chin and hope we come out stronger, and with the desire to return and hopefully play more finals and get some reward for the development we’re showing,” he said.

“They’re a very young side, they’re relatively inexperienced, and they’re learning the hard way and the good way.”

It was a tight opening, but ECU were convinced they had a penalty when John Hulme was brought down in the area, but referee Zach Piccicacco waved away their protests.

Bayswater lifted and ECU keeper Todd Hoyle saved well to deny Taban Makoii, and they were put under some intense pressure but they managed to hang on.

ECU settled and hit the front on 38 minutes, Coire McGuigan found space down the right and his cross picked out Annis who headed past Fraser Greenwood.

Bayswater opened the second half brightly and forced a number of early corners and six minutes in they levelled, Wild heading home from close-range.

Their pressure was rewarded on the hour when they took the lead. Wild was the supplier this time, sending Makoii in on goal and he finished past Hoyle. It looked like Bayswater would go on with it, but ECU had other ideas and they levelled on 75 minutes.

Hulme raced into the box but his shot was parried by Greenwood, but Bayley Brown-Montgomery was quickest to react to the rebound and fired home.

It was game on but ECU went to sleep sixty seconds later and Bayswater regained the lead, when Jamie Murphy was picked out unmarked at the back post and he finished well past Hoyle.

ECU pressed looking for the equaliser but they were caught out again in stoppage time, Wild holding off his marker and fire low past Hoyle to win it.

A fantastic effort for the young Jacks to even make the final, with big wins against Perth Glory and Stirling Lions in the process. Well done to the coaches and players, so let’s finish the season off well and move up the table.

Bayswater City: GK Fraser GREENWOOD, 3 David STOKOE, 4 Julian ALTERI (16 Abdul ABDELLA 46), 5 Patiente ILAHAMBAYE, 7 Jamie MURPHY, 8 Hifzan MOHD HAYAZI, 9 Alex WILD (c), 10 Taban MAKOII, 14 Tristan COLLI, 20 Luka NINKOVIC (18 Giordano COLLI 83), 21 Stefan BARBAS (6 Les MARI 68) – Subs not used: 11 Charlie WHITE, 12 Jake CHERRIE – Yellow cards: nil

ECU Joondalup: GK Todd HOYLE, 2 Coire MCGUIGAN, 4 Ronald RIXER, 5 Stef VRANESEVIC, 6 Ryan MALTON (c), 7 Bayley BROWN-MONTGOMERY, 10 Oliver ANNIS, 11 Keylun POLLARD, 12 Jonathan HULME, 14 Lee HALLIDAY (3 Jaden EWEN 76), 18 Mateen ALEXANDER (8 Joe MIDDLETON 84) – Subs not used: RGK Daniel HODGKINSON, 15 Liam FYFE, 19 James BRUCE  – Yellow cards: Malton 22’

Referee: Zach Piccicacco