Dixon helps WA beat Perth Glory

Dixon helps WA beat Perth Glory

Posted on August 15, 2014 in 'News'

ECU Joondalup winger Danny Dixon has helped the West Australian State League side beat Perth Glory 2-1 at Dalmatinac Park on Wednesday evening.

Second half goals to Alec Solomons and Ludovic Boi put Chris Coyne’s side on the road to victory, and despite Sidnei Sciola reducing the margin late, the WA side hung on for a memorable win.

Armadale defender Solomons was honoured to play for the state team, and delighted to get on the score sheet. “It was a great effort from the lads tonight, they put us under pressure but we stood tall and got the win in the end,” a delighted Solomon said.  “It’s a great honour to be selected in this side and to cap it off with a goal to is fantastic.”

WA Coach Chris Coyne was proud of his players and said they deserve all the credit. “We’ve only had three sessions together, and I thought they went about their business pretty well, and they are a credit to themselves,” he said.

“The effort they put in and the way they applied themselves was first class, and sometimes when you work hard you get the rewards and the whole squad did that tonight.”

The Glory was lively early and on five minutes, skipper Michael Thwaite’s through ball found Chris Harold, who fired wide.

Harold was in again moments later, latching onto a Youssouf Hersi through ball, but Curtis Aspden saved well to deny him.

After the early let off the WA side settled, and went close themselves on 11 minutes. Devon Gibson’s ball over the top sent Mark Doninger in on goal, but the former Newcastle United midfielder saw his shot well saved by Jack Duncan, and Lewis McMahon’s follow up shot went inches wide.

WA were on top and skipper Clark Keltie saw his volley from the edge of the penalty area saved low by Duncan, before the Glory custodian denied Doninger again on the half hour.

The Glory ended the half well, and Daniel de Silva played a great ball into the path of Jamie Maclaren, whose delicate lob landed on the top of the net, but at the break it was all even.

Kenny Lowe made wholesale changes at the break with only Scott Jamieson, Jack Clisby and Duncan keeping their spots.

But it was WA who had the opening opportunity, seven minutes in. A racking ball from Keltie, sent Todd Howarth racing down the left. His cross found Doninger, whose low shot was saved by Duncan.

WA keeper Devon Spence came to his sides rescue two minutes later. Jamieson sent Nebosja Marinkovic in on goal, but Spence saved well to deny the Serbian.

Then on the hour the Glory went even closer. Sciola sent Andy Keogh in on goal, with the WA defenders convinced the Irish striker was offside, but the flag stayed down and his low shot smacked off the base of the post and away to safety.

The WA side went to their bench, with Chris Coyne giving all the squad the opportunity, but it was the Glory who went close again on 70 minutes. Dino Djulbic ball sent Keogh racing clear, he picked out Sciola at the back post, but the Brazilians’ shot went into the side netting.

But moments later the WA side hit the front. The Glory lost possession on the left of the penalty area, and Lawrence Shurama nipped in and crossed to the back post where Solomons volleyed home superbly from eight meters.

The Glory looked for a quick response and Djulbic saw his header rattle the post on 75 minutes, and Richard Garcia fired home seconds later, but the flag was up for offside.

WA doubled their advantage on 84 minutes. Boi picked Danny Dixon, who made space down the left. Boi continued his run and when Dixon crossed, the midfielder made no mistake from five meters.

It looked game over but the Glory had other ideas. Straight from the kick off Josh Risdon raced clear down the left and crossed to the back post and Sciola headed home powerfully from five meters

It set up a grandstand finish, with the Glory pushing for the equaliser and in the final minute, Marinkovic’s corner found Keogh, whose header was well saved by Spence.

Perth Glory (1st Half) – GK Jack DUNCAN, 2 Jack CLISBY, 3 Brandon O’NEIL, 7 Youssouf HERSI, 14 Chris HAROLD, 15 Jamie MACLAREN, 20 Daniel DE SILVA, 21 Scott JAMIESON, 22 Cameron EDWARDS, 23 Michael THWAITE (c), 26 Harry O’BRIEN

Perth Glory (2nd Half) – GK Jack DUNCAN, 2 Jack CLISBY, 6 Dino DJULBIC, 9 Andy KEOGH, 10 Nebosja MARINKOVIC, 11 Richard GARCIA, 13 Diogo FERRIERA, 16 Sidnei SCIOLA, 17 Mitch NICHOLS, 19 Josh RISDON, 21 Scott JAMIESON

WA – GK Curtis ASPDEN (RGK Devon SPENCE 46’) 2 Devon GIBSON, 3 Sam MITCHINSON (13 Jack ALLEN 66’), 4 Adam TONG (14 Bobby WILSON 62’), 6 Clark KELTIE (c) (21 Alex RANDALL 66’), 8 Dean EVANS (12 Danny DIXON 66’), 9 Lewis MCMAHON (17 Carlo COELHO 55’), 10 Mark DONINGER (16 Andrija JUKIC 55’), 11 Teeboy KAMARA (7 Ludovic BOI 46’), 22 Todd HOWARTH (19 Lawrence SHURAMA 55’), 23 Chris SALDARIS (15 Alec SOLOMONS 62’)

Referee: Adam Fielding