Under 9’s Too Good for Wembley

Under 9’s Too Good for Wembley

Posted on June 29, 2013 in 'Juniors 2013'

ECU 9’s (11 v 1)  Wembley 10’s – Sunday 23rd June

It was a brisk morning as our boys prepared to host Wembley. Our usual referee Will had made appropriate arrangements with Ryan’s dad Derek to take over his duties for this game as he predicted he was going to be a bit “under the weather” following his escapades the previous night.

ECU would be without the services of Paddy for this game as he had tweaked a muscle in training the week before but we are hoping that he will be back next week. Given we were the only team playing at home this week the lads were treated to a game on the main pitch but after seeing the amount of bobbles on the surface this may not have been the best idea. Once Koji was settled into his birds eye view of the game from the clubroom balcony and had his camera set we kicked off.

ECU started the game and proceeded to score one of the best team goals ever seen by an u9’s team. A 13 pass combination with all 8 outfield players being involved and getting a touch on the ball, with the ball being played back into defence, out wide to the left, back across to the right and eventually Aiki put the ball into the net following a cross from Seb on the right. Wembley’s first touch on the ball was when their keeper was picking it out of the net.

Following that great goal there was more and more action coming down the ECU right wing. Matthew was heavily involved in the game playing some great balls down the line or inside to the midfield and Aston was making some gut busting runs down the flank. ECU’s second goal came from one of Aston’s runs when he crossed to Ethan who poked the ball under the diving keeper to make it 2-0 to ECU.

Seb was working hard up front and seemed determined to get his name on the score sheet. He had a shot that just sailed over the bar followed by a powerful shot that was smartly saved by the Wembley keeper. Eventually his determination paid off following another neat pass into the midfield by Matt to Aiki who then played Seb through and he finished under the advancing keeper.

Now 10 minutes into the game and Wembley got their first chance at goal. Following a loose ball one of the Wembley forwards hit a solid shot that just clipped the top of the cross bar to make sure that Danny was still awake in goal.

A few minutes later and Sam and Braydon came on replacing Aston and Ryan respectively. Sam was instantly into the game and picked up where Aston had left off with a tempting cross that flashed right across the face of the goal. Seb was desperately trying to add to his goal tally with two more shots that were again well saved by the Wembley keeper.

Not long after and Braydon got his first major involvement in the game with a great ball into the box from the left wing. He picked out Sam who held the ball up with his back to goal before laying it into the path of the advancing Ethan. Some smart footwork from Ethan saw him get clear of the Wembley defence and he calmly placed the ball into the corner of the goal for his second of the game and ECU’s 4th.

Ethan’s hat trick came a few minutes later. After pouncing on a loose ball in the midfield his acceleration took him past two Wembley players before hitting a powerful shot into the corner that was just too hot for the Wembley keeper to hold even though he got a hand to it.

Seb’s persistence was finally rewarded with his second of the game and what a great goal it was. He picked up the ball in the midfield and worked his way across the pitch where he slipped a great ball in behind the Wembley full back for Sam to run onto and Seb continued his run into the box. Sam crossed first time and it was Seb who got there first and finished off the move he started with a powerful stroke into the corner of the goal.

The last few minutes of the first half saw Sam nearly score a header at the back post following a great cross from Braydon and Ethan nearly had his 4th of the game but his shot hit the wrong side of the post.

Half time score ECU 6 – 0.

The second half saw Danny come out of goal with Seb going in and Ethan and Aiki took well earned rests on the bench. It only took 1 minute for ECU to open their second half account. A great through ball by Ryan to Eddie down the left saw Eddie pick out Sam at the back post for a first time finish.

Eddie and Matt were seeing lots of the ball down the ECU wings and were delivering numerous crosses to keep the Wembley defence very busy. From a corner Matt floated a great ball to the far post where the smallest player on the pitch, Aston, climbed well and only narrowly missed with a great header.

Wembley finally got some reward of their own for all their hard work when they caught the ECU defence pushing up too far which allowed one of their forwards to go one on one against Seb in goal. Even though Seb got a hand on the ball it still managed to find its way into the net to make the score 7-1.

Aston was now playing up front and determined to add to his season’s tally of goals. He was chipping away at the Wembley goal with a few narrow misses as well as a few shots that were blocked by the Wembley defenders.

At this stage of the game Ethan and Aiki came back on. Ethan went into the centre of defence to give Shade a rest and Aiki came onto the left wing for Eddie.

There was a period of the game where Matt seemed to be taking corner after corner with the Wembley defence holding out the ECU relentless attacks. Aiki also flashed a high shot at goal which the Wembley keeper palmed away for yet another corner.

Following all his hard work Aston finally added his name onto the score sheet. A long goal kick was picked up in the midfield by Danny who slotted it through to Aston. Aston rounded one defender and finished well past the outstretched keeper.

It was then Danny’s turn to add his name to the score sheet. Picking up the ball in the middle he played a well weighted pass out wide for Matthew and continued his run forward hoping to get the return pass. Matthew’s cross was parried by the keeper but the ball fell straight to Danny who blasted a shot with his left foot making the score 9-1 to ECU.

Aiki then doubled his own tally for the morning following a great run down the left. He made out he was going to square the ball across the box but instead he slotted it just inside the near post.

There seemed to be constant attacking pressure from ECU now and the Wembley defence and goalkeeper were having to work hard. Braydon played a neat ball to Matthew who hit a very powerful shot that unfortunately for him just flashed over the bar. Matthew didn’t have to wait much longer for his well deserved goal. Another great run from Aiki down the left saw him cross early into the box where Matthew swept the ball past the keeper with his left foot. This made the score 11-1 to ECU and there was no more time to add to the total with Derek blowing the final whistle.

Well played by the ECU boys and full credit to Wembley who worked very hard in that game.

Final score was 11-1 and the goal scorers were Ethan 3, Seb 2, Aiki 2, Sam 1, Aston 1, Danny 1, & Matthew 1.