ECU 11’s Mother’s Day Gift

ECU 11’s Mother’s Day Gift

Posted on May 31, 2013 in 'Juniors 2013'

ECU 11’s v Bayswater – 12th May

After recent storms it was good to see the sun out again on Mother’s Day when Bayswater 11’s team came a calling to ECU. Having won impressively away last week against Sorrento, Tommy and Mick wanted the ECU boys to maintain the same high standard of play at home.

The first few minutes saw a succession of long throw ins down the right by Aaron H and good battling by Harry pegging Bayswater back deep in their own half. Nathan was the first to test the Bayswater keeper from distance after 5 minutes. His shot was saved well. Riley was next to have a go after he latched on to a loose ball following Aaron H’s tackle but saw his effort go just past the keeper’s right post. ECU were not to be denied, however, when a brilliant cross by Luke out wide on the left was powered home from the head of Riley for the game’s first goal after 7 minutes. (ECU 1 – Bayswater 0).

Soon after the restart some good passing in the midfield ended when Luke’s shot was well saved the Bayswater keeper at the expense of a corner. Harry’s well taken corner was headed just over the bar by Riley. Dayan was buzzing in midfield and had a great shot from distance go close to doubling ECU’s lead. Bayswater were still trying to play good football but great headed clearances and timely tackles from the defensive trio of Aaron H, Wes in the middle and Aaron L on the left coped with everything that came their way. Riley was in the mood for more goals and soon spotted the Bayswater keeper off his line but saw his speculative shot go just past. Nathan then decided to enter the fray when his right foot curler smacked off the bar following a short corner. ECU’s second goal came soon after when Harry clipped over a great cross come shot, from a very tight angle, which eluded the Bayswater keeper in to the top corner of the net.

(ECU 2 – Bayswater 0).

The later stages of the first half saw Luke having two great shots well saved by the Bayswater keeper, the latter at the expense of a corner. Harry’s resultant looping cross hitting the top of the bar before going behind. Bayswater upped their efforts but great strong defensive play by Wes helped hold them off although they were unlucky to shoot just over the bar after getting in behind ECU’s defence for the first time. On the stroke off half-time ECU went 3 goals up when Riley drilled home a shot after Bayswater defence failed to clear the ball from another ECU corner. (ECU 3 – Bayswater 0). Kai in goals barely saw the ball in the first half and needed the half time workout to keep his eye in, lest he be called in to action in the second half.

The second half saw Matt, Joe and Zak take the field in place of Nathan, Harry and Aaron H. Straight from the kick off Riley cheekily went for goal but came up short. The Bayswater midfield started well with some good individual skills but Dayan continued to impress by never letting them settle. It was his great through ball that found Luke charging forward who’s early shot was well cleared by the keeper. In the 10th minute Joe cut in from the left, after Harry’s good work kept the ball in play, and fired off a great shot that was well saved by the keeper. Bayswater finally had a shot low on target but Kai was on his toes and held it well. Joe then bizarrely saw his shot hit the keeper then the post before being cleared. The 14th minute saw the save of the match by Kai who brilliantly dived high to his right to push a goal bound shot away. But was it as good as last week’s terrific save against Sorrento?

Matt at right back pushed forward shortly after and showed some great close skills that drew a foul. Good to see you back mate after your injury – time to put the skateboard away. Aaron H back on at left back for Aaron L (too many Aaron’s in this team) tried his luck with a good shot on target but the Bayswater keeper saved well. His next shot was blocked at the expense of a corner but ECU were not to be denied a fourth when Matt scored well from the resultant corner when he latched on to a poor clearance. (ECU 4 – Bayswater 0).

Bayswater upped their game and continued to press for a goal with Aaron H having a great saving tackle and Zak managing to brilliantly toe away a dangerous cross field pass. Nathan, deputising for Wes in centre defence, tried his luck from distance but his shot was well saved as was Matt’s when he was next to have a go. Chances came thick and fast for ECU to extend their lead. Joe showed some good footwork before shooting narrowly past. God work by Harry down the left forced a corner late in the game from which the bar once again prevented him from scoring directly from his corner kick. Nice bit of play from Zak on the right took a couple of Bayswater players out of the game before Harry cutting in from the left shot just past the goalkeeper’s left post. Bayswater were finally rewarded for their efforts right on the full-time whistle when their left winger managed to get a shot away just before the ball went out. Kai covered his near post well but the ball struck his left hand post before breaking to a waiting player in the middle to beat him a close range.

Another good performance left the mum’s happy as they went home to indulge in their gifts of bath salts, aromatic candles and chocolates whilst Mick looked for a seat to recover from having covered more ground this week when refereeing the game.

Full time score was ECU 4 – Bayswater 1.