Under 12’s Suffer Rare Defeat

Under 12’s Suffer Rare Defeat

Posted on May 28, 2012 in 'Juniors 2012'

Sunday 20th May – Junior League Premier Division – ECU 1-2  Fremantle Utd

ECU under 12’s suffered their first defeat of the season against table toppers Fremantle United. Having been promoted to the Premier Division, it was always going to be a tough start against a team who have won all six of their matches this season but it was the home side who started confidently and had two chances in the first 10 minutes. Both Kieron Craig and Harley Curran firing over from promising positions, most of ECU’s openings were coming down the left hand side where Declan Hudson was causing all sorts of problems for the Fremantle defence. ECU went ahead on the 18 minute mark, a neat one two on the edge of the area between Kieron and Oliver Ford ended with Kieron poking the ball into the net. Shortly after, Brad Jordan hit the bar after another good run by Declan. The home team went into the break 1-0 up but had a series of chances to put the game away which they were unable to take.

Half Time – ECU  1-0  Fremantle

The missed chances came back to haunt them as three minutes into he second half it was 1-1. After a scramble in the home area, a Fremantle forward was fouled and the penalty was converted. Suddenly the away team were a different side, playing with energy and enthusiasm and they took the lead when a free kick from distance was allowed to go all the way through to hit the post, a Freo forward tapping in the rebound. ECU were rattled and lost some of their shape but still managed to create some chances, the best of which fell to James Lawless, who shot wide when through on goal. Fremantle also hit the bar on the break and held on to record an important win.

Full Time – ECU  1-2  Fremantle

The old expression of ‘a game of 2 halves’ was very true in this case, ECU should have wrapped up the victory by half time. Hopefully they will recover away to Vic Park next Sunday (27th May).