Quality In The Sun At ECU

Quality In The Sun At ECU

Posted on May 7, 2012 in 'Juniors 2012'

ECU 8-0 Quinns – Under 10’s– Sunday 6th May

ECU dominated this game straight from the kick-off. Mathew McLaughlin donned the gloves for the first half but had little to do. Just 3 minutes in, some superb 1 touch football down the left resulted in Dayan Bhudia’s shot going just over the bar. However, ECU weren’t to be denied when a superb four man move started by Nathan Rhodes great pass out from defence quickly resulted in a great ball across the box from Harry Blunt, which Jacob Turner smashed home for the first goal.

ECU’s midfield duo of Dayan and Harry Moses were dominating their Quinn’s counterparts. It wasn’t long before the two Harry’s combined well to open up the Quinn’s defence again when Harry Blunt forced home goal number 2 from close range. Both Jacob Turner and Jason Petrie arguably had their best games yet and gave the Quinn’s defence a torrid time all game. Shots continued to pepper the Quinn’s goal from distance from the boot’s of Nathan Rhodes, Dayan and Harry Moses.

Shortly after a great ball over the Quinn’s defence by Dayan saw Harry Blunt’s shot saved well, another shot hit the bar. Goal number 3 from close range by Harry Blunt came after some great work by Jason down the right. Just before half-time Harry Blunt completed his hat-trick after some nifty footwork giving ECU a 4-0 half time lead. Quinn’s failed to record a shot on goal.

After some delicate negotiations pertaining to the rules of the game between half-time the second half saw Harry pay the price for his hat-trick, as he took his turn between the sticks. Aaron Hinshelwood took over in defence from Wesley Brown and it was business as usual. It wasn’t long before Joe Hobson rattled in goal number 5 for ECU after a great ball from Jason.

Joe celebrated in his usual casual manner. With Aaron Louttit tidying up everything well at left defence ECU pushed forward with Mathew McLaughlin coming closest of all hitting the post from distance. Goal number 6 was a beauty from distance by Nathan Rhodes in to the bottom right corner. Wesley celebrated being released from his normal defensive duties by smashing in goal number 7 courtesy of good work by Joey. Joey’s cheeky back heel soon after saw Harry Moses shot go close.

Goal number 8 came after great work by Wesley through the middle of Quinn’s defence allowed Joey to stroke the ball home. Near game’s end saw Quinn’s forward’s create an opening but they were denied their only shot on goal all morning by Aaron Hinshelwood’s phenomenal sliding tackle. Some may call it a professional foul worthy of a red card but to this reporter it was created on the frozen pitches of Glasgow and brought a smile to his dad’s face. An 8-0 triumph saw some of Mark’s (Millwall) and the boy’s hard work at training come to fruition. Long may it continue.