Posted on July 6, 2012 in 'Juniors 2012'

Westside 1 ECU 10’s 2 1st July, 2012

With a short drive to Kinross to face local side Westside Football Club, E.C.U. Joondalup expected atough match, and that’s exactly what they got against a spirited opposition.Passing the ball around well E.C.U. had the edge in the games opening spell, creating numerous halfchances and corners. With Hobson, Petrie, and Bhudia running hard in the centre of the field, andDavis and Mclaughlin running the left and right wings respectively.

Limited to mainly counterattacks, Westside finally broke through the E.C.U. defence of Moses, Brown, and Hinselwood, withthe shot being comfortably dealt with by Rhodes, who would spend the full game in goal due to a leginjury. E.C.U. were straight back on the attack winning another corner. But with the ball cleared wellby Westside, they broke forward with numbers, finding the back of the E.C.U. net with a great shotleaving keeper and defenders stranded.But this was to be there first and last.

Away from home and 1 –nil down, the bhoys showed greatspirit, dominating the rest of the half. Mclaughlin and Moses were given a rest, replaced by Turnerand Loutit towards the end of the half, and with the attacking corners count well into double figures,it was a frustrated E.C.U. that left the pitch at half time 1-0 down.

There was to be no let up for the home side in the second half as E.C.U. pressed forward from thewhistle. On 2 minutes Davis’ long range effort was only half dealt with by the Westside keeper,allowing Petrie a chance on goal, which went just wide finding the side netting. A minute later andDavis was the provider again, but his cross into the area was missed by everyone.

The games nextspell saw both teams battle hard in the middle of the park, with E.C.U. again having more ofpossession. With Turner replaced 5min into the half after picking up an injury, it was beginning tolook like it wasn’t to be there day. But that all changed on 7min when Petrie received the ball,turned well and fired it into the back of the net beyond the keepers reach.

With the scores now levelat 1-1 setting up a cracker of a finish. With Mclaughlin and Moses back on the field, E.C.U. pressedforward, with Westside at times camped around their goal area. But to their credit Westside defended admirably, creating a few attacking chances of their own. But with only 3mins remainingDavis was given too much time on the right wing. He looked up, picked his spot and fired his shotover everyone, including Westsides keeper, into the top far corner of the goal, in what was definitelya candidate for goal of the season. 2-1.

The goal almost outdone by the teams celebrations thatfollowed.Well done to all the boys. Another outstanding performance against a fantastic opposition