ECU 10’s Maul Lions of Subiaco

ECU 10’s Maul Lions of Subiaco

Posted on August 25, 2012 in 'Juniors 2012'

ECU (4) v Subiaco (0) – Sunday 19th August 2012

The last time these two sides met Subiaco won the day. This was the under 10’s only loss this season with only four games to go. This made this match one of the most eagerly anticipated of the season. Recent weeks for the under 10’s had been likened to an episode of M*A*S*H* so it was great to see both Aaron Hinshelwood and Harry Blunt making welcome returns after their recent bouts of illness and injury. Even Nathan Rhodes couldn’t stay away from the action, despite his sore knee, playing in goal for the whole game. Talk about ‘manning up” – some professionals should take note.

Both coaches had their teams very well organised from the outset. Mark’s playing of Wesley Brown on right wing and Harry Blunt starting as sub seemed to confuse and upset the Subiaco’s coach’s well prepared plans to contain the threat from ECU. The ECU boys were mindful of the threat from distance posed by Subiaco, which won them the previous encounter. Both teams competed hard for every ball effectively cancelling each other out during the first half. ECU’s defence was well marshalled by Aaron Hinshelwood at centre and Jacob Turner in right defence. Subiaco’s number 8 had an early effort on goal but his shot went well wide of Nathan’s goal. Good work on the right by Wesley forced a couple of corners for ECU but both were well cleared by the Subiaco defence. Harry Moses battled away in midfield even winning a couple of headers against the Subiaco no. 8 despite giving away several inches in height. It wasn’t until the 12th minute that we saw a shot on goal. And what a shot it was from Dayan Bhudia. As the ball broke to him he drove in a thunderbolt that the Subiaco keeper brilliantly turned on the bar and then managed to gather the ball as it was fired back in.

Aaron Louttit continued his impressive run of good form at left defence calmly dealing with every threat from Subiaco’s forwards. Great clearing headers and cool passing under pressure made this one of Aaron’s best games of the season. Aaron, Dylan and Luke Davis linked up very well throughout the first half. As the first half drew to close brave defensive work by Aaron Hinshelwood, solid at the heart of ECU’s defence, blocked a goal bound shot by the Subiaco no.9. With both sides fans growing more anxious it seemed to rub off on the boys, as was seen when Aaron Hinshelwood and Mathew McLaughlin collided with each other as they both went for the same ball requiring Mathew to go off for treatment. For those old enough to remember it was a repeat of the Willie Miller and Alan Hansen collision whilst playing for Scotland v Russia during the 1982 World Cup. Russia scored as a result and the Scots caught the first plane home. Even after all these years later I’m still fuming. At least Subiaco didn’t score a result and the half-time whistle blew shortly after. A very tight first half tactical battle with no goals scored.

Half-time score (ECU 0 – Subiaco 0)

Whilst the first half was an evenly contested tactical affair, the second was anything but with the ECU boys proving too strong for Subiaco to handle. Right from the start the ECU boys got their passing rhythm going in top gear quickly resulting in Dayan lobbing the ball just past Subiaco’s left post. With the game opening up Subiaco went close from distance after a contested throw in decision. After 5 minutes a fine cross by Luke out on the left fizzed over the heads of the Subiaco defence with Harry just unable to connect.

Subiaco were next to threaten when their no 8 latched on to a long ball and broke free on goal. Just when a goal was certain, Aaron Hinshelwood’s long legs made up terrific ground and he slid in. Time stood still as one set of parents hit “000” on their speed dial and the other checked their personal injury liability insurance cover. No need for both, as the tackle was timed to perfection and the danger was cleared and Nathan Rhodes in goal continued to have a quiet morning. A great passage of play after 15 minutes saw some neat one touch passing between Jason Petrie, Dayan Bhudia and Joe Hobson stretch the Subiaco defence. As the ball broke clear Dayan met it with a sweet strike which flew past the keeper in to the top left corner of the net. (ECU 1, Subiaco 0).

Luke Davis was next to try his luck from distance with a shot going just over. Mathew took the field soon after having recovered from his first half injury and made dramatic impact. A great piece of skill using both feet created an opening and his drive was too hot for the Subiaco keeper to handle at his near post. (ECU 2, Subiaco 0).

Great battling and hassling by Jacob Turner and Joe Hobson continually upset the Subiaco defence and never allowed them to settle as the game neared its close. A great corner from Dayan was met by a terriffic leap by Harry Moses whose glancing header went just over. After great backtracking by Joe Hobson to clear a threat from Subiaco, his great piece of skill sent Jason through but he was just unable to connect with the ball. Jason didn’t have long to wait as he latched on to a loose ball in the middle of the pitch and sent a bomb of a shot in to the top right hand corner of the net in the 21st minute. (ECU 3, Subiaco 0).

With the clock ticking down a great driving run by Dayan through the middle moving the ball between right and left foot was finished by a great through ball to the returning Harry Blunt out on the right. Showing he has not lost any of his demon pace, Harry left the Subiaco defence lagging behind and coolly dispatched his shot past the outcoming keeper in to the net. (ECU 4, Subiaco 0). With the crowd singing “we want 5” ….. sorry that was just me wishful thinking, the final whistle blew. A great result and all round team performance by Mark and all of the boys, which saw the lions of Subiaco leave with barely a “growl” to show for their efforts.

Full time score ECU 4, Subiaco 0