Under 9’s Overjoyed with late winner against Quinns

Under 9’s Overjoyed with late winner against Quinns

Posted on May 21, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

OSSF U10 North Blue Sunday 15th May 2011

Round 2

Quinns SC 1 v 2 ECU Joondalup U9’s

A goal with the very last kick of the game dramatically secured ECU U9’s first win of the season against local rivals Quinns SC at Gumblossam Oval.

The home side started the brighter and showed some encouraging signs as they dominated the early stages. Some neat passing down the right flank was followed by the first real chance of the game in the 3rd minute however the shot was comfortably saved by the ECU ‘keeper. Quinns kept up the pressure and were rewarded with the first goal of the game in the 5th minute with an almost identical move down the right, the striker this time making no mistake with a low drive into the bottom corner.

This was the wakeup call the young ECU team needed and, following the re-start, started to get their passing game going. Winger Casimir-Brown was causing the Quinns left back all sorts of trouble and his cross in the 8th minute found Leonard on the edge of the box whose shot flew just wide. Budhia won a 50/50 tussle in midfield before realising Casimir-Brown down the right whose first time cross was again met by Leonard who cut inside a defender before hitting a right foot shot which cannoned back of the post. Rhodes found himself in a similar position on 20 minutes and he too was denied by the same upright. The home team were continually pegged back by wave after wave of ECU attacks but the score remained 1-0. In the final minute of the first half ECU won a corner kick which was swung in by Saddler. The Quinns defence only half cleared and the ball was pumped back into the crowded penalty area before finally finding its way to Bhudia who made no mistake with a superb right foot strike which flew into the roof of the net to level scores with what proved to be the final kick of the half.

The second half saw Quinns again start the better of the two teams but Ford, Blunt and Gilsenan in the ECU defence easily coped with the home team’s attacks. A tactical switch saw the busy Bhudia move out to the right wing and he again showed great quality on 40 minutes in beating two defenders before crossing the ball only for Gilsenan’s flick to fall into the arms of the Quinn’s ‘keeper. From there on in it was all ECU. Two successive corners on 50 minutes, following another great move down the right, kept the home team’s defence on their toes. They were nearly undone by Leonard who somehow found himself all alone in the box only to see his diving header fly over the bar with an open goal at his mercy.

It was a frantic finish and ECU was desperate to snare their first win of the campaign and kept up the relentless pressure. Casimir-Brown missed another golden chance to secure the points when he went through one on one with the ‘keeper with only two minutes remaining on the clock – the keeper stood tall and the shot ricocheted off his legs to safety. With the very last attack of the game, Leonard’s initial shot was charged down by the Quinn’s defence, before again falling to Casimir-Brown whose first time shot rifled into the back of the net for the winning goal with the very last kick of the game.

Full time:                              Quinns SC              1 – 2       ECU ( Bhudia 25’, Casimir-Brown 50’)

ECU – 2 Aaron Louttit, 3 Freddie Sadler, 4 Ben Ford, 5 Dayan Bhudia, 6 Harry Blunt, 7 Theo Gilsenan, 8 Dylan Leonard, 9 Wesley Casimir-Brown, 11 Matthew McLaughlin, 12 Nathan Rhodes, 13 Kurt Crompton, 14 Joe Hobson