U9’s pegged back by Quinn’s

U9’s pegged back by Quinn’s

Posted on August 19, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Sunday 07th August  2011 – OSSF U10 North Blue – ECU Joondalup U9’s 2 v 4 Quinn’s SC – Round 11 By Stu Gilsenan

In a reverse of the Round 2 fixture of the Optus SSF Under 10 Division North Blue, it was Quinn’s SC who this time came out on top of another epic encounter.

After claiming local bragging rights earlier in the season, the U9‘s knew they were in for a tough game against their closest rivals and things were made even tougher as early as the 3rd minute as Quinn’s stunned the ECU defence with a well taken goal.

ECU struggled to get into any sort of rhythm partly due to wayward passing and partly due to the tenacity of the Quinn’s midfield. It wasn’t until the 12th minute that ECU had their first shot on goal, Dylan Leonard unlucky not to have registered his first of the game following a superb shot from distance which was superbly tipped over by the Quinn’s ‘keeper. Nathan Rhodes was introduced into the game midway through the first half to try and bolster the midfield and had an immediate effect. After receiving the ball just inside the Quinn’s half he jinxed passed a couple of defenders before unleashing the hammer – the ‘keeper this time unable to do anything but watch the ball sail into the back of the net –  to level the score at 1-1 on 17 mins.  Neither team were able to capitalise as the half wore on and the game was perfectly poised at the interval.

The second half saw Quinn’s step up another gear and following a corner on 30 mins, the ball was poked home to double their advantage, ECU again unable to effectively clear their lines. Rather than giving Quinn’s the momentum to bag it up, the goal sparked the youngsters into life, typified by a determined Harry Blunt in the middle of park.it was his tackle on 35 minutes which saw Kurt Crompton expertly take the ball in his stride before out sprinting the Quinn’s defence and clinically slotting the ball past the on rushing ‘keeper to bring the score back level at 2-2.

An unfortunate goal keeper error on 40 mins gifted Quinn’s their 3rd goal and, despite their efforts, ECU couldn’t find a way past an inspired Quinn’s ‘keeper. Inevitably it was Quinn’s who took advantage of ECU’s attempts to push for the equaliser, exploiting with a neat counter attack in the final minute of the game; a superbly struck shot from distance nestling into the top corner of the ECU goal to wrap up the game 2-4.

Full time:                                ECU Joondalup U9’s                2 – 4         Quinn’s SC

(Rhodes 15 min)

(Crompton 35 min)


2 – Aaron Louttit, 3 – Freddie Sadler, 4 – Ben Ford, 5 – Dayan Bhudia, 6 – Harry Blunt, 7 – Theo Gilsenan, 8 – Dylan Leonard, 9 – Wesley Casimir-Brown, 11 – Matthew McLaughlin, 12 – Nathan Rhodes, 13 – Kurt Crompton, 14 – Joe Hobson

Coach – John Higgins