U9’s back on track

U9’s back on track

Posted on September 29, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Sunday 04th September 2011 – OSSF U10 North Blue – Round 15

ECU Joondalup U9’s 5 v 3 Hamersley Rovers Juniors FC

ECU backed up last week’s impressive win with another solid performance at home to Hamersley Rovers in the Optus SSF Under 10 Division North Blue.

The U9’s took an early lead through Dylan Leonard as he collected a neat through ball from Nathan Rhodes before firing past the oncoming Hamersley ‘keeper. Hamersley, despite having a physical edge over their younger opposition, were struggling to cope with the passing and movement of the ECU players particularly the link up play between the midfield and the forwards.

Due to a knee injury sustained in training earlier in the week, Harry Blunt’s omission from the team saw the wide right role handed to Dayan Bhudia. His smart running and skilful distribution led to the second goal on 7 minutes as his cross fell to Theo Gilsenan just inside the Hamersley box before neatly controlling and side footing the ball into the bottom corner.

To their credit, Hamersley were not allowing themselves to be completely out played and once the realisation set in that they could win a physical battle, they started to have more success. A poor clearance by the ECU ‘keeper saw the ball ricochet off the legs of a couple of defenders and eventually falling to the feet of the Hamersley number 9 who volleyed home from close range to bring the score back to 2-1.

ECU effectively countered the physical battle and their neat passing was undoing the Hamersley defence time after time. A minute before the half time break, a great move involving Gilsenan, Bhudia and a cross from Leonard saw the busy Joe Hobson steal in at the near post to increase the lead to 3-1.

The space in behind a rather static Hamersley defence was again being exploited early in the second half as Bhudia found himself cutting in from the right before unleashing a shot which crashed back of the woodwork before being cleared. ECU went further ahead on 30 minutes after Leonard cleverly intercepted a goal kick and cushioned his header to the feet of Hobson who in turn calmly slotted past the ‘keeper to make the score 4-1. Despite dominating possession, ECU had their lead cut on 35 minutes. Hamersley cleverly carved out a great opportunity for themselves resulting in a ball being whipped in from the left and neatly finished at the back post.

The 4-2 score line gave the away team renewed confidence and they were starting to win possession in critical areas, forcing ECU back and, more importantly, into making mistakes. Another quick break out of defence saw the Hamersley number 9 burst through the midfield  before finding enough time and space to shoot form distance – his shot rifling past a stranded ECU ‘keeper to make the score 4-3 with five minutes left on the clock.

ECU steadied themselves and, whilst a better man would have been content to see out the game with a one goal buffer, they went on the attack. A neat interchange of passing from Rhodes and Gilsenan saw Hamersley scramble the ball clear for a corner. Leonard’s outswinger was headed clear by the Hamersley defence but only as far as Gilsenan who cleverly flicked the ball inside an oncoming defender before driving the ball into the top corner to seal the 5-3 victory.

Full time:                                ECU Joondalup U9’s                5 – 3         Hamersley Rovers

(Leonard 4 mins)

(Gilsenan 7, 50 mins)

(Hobson 25, 30 mins)


2 – Aaron Louttit, 3 – Freddie Sadler, 4 – Ben Ford, 5 – Dayan Bhudia, 6 – Harry Blunt, 7 – Theo Gilsenan, 8 – Dylan Leonard, 9 – Wesley Casimir-Brown, 11 – Matthew McLaughlin, 12 – Nathan Rhodes, 13 – Kurt Crompton, 14 – Joe Hobson

Coach – John Higgins