Late Winner Sinks The Under 11’s

Late Winner Sinks The Under 11’s

Posted on July 10, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Sunday 3rd July – Stirling  2-1  ECU U’11s – By Nick Ford

A late winner gave the league leaders, Stirling Lions, all three points in an entertaining encounter at Macedonia Park. Before the game both sides were at the top of the table well clear of all the other teams. ECU started confidently and Oliver Ford forced the home goalkeeper to save from his long distance effort, Liam Hudson was also causing the home defence some problems with his running and crossing ability down the right.

ECU took the lead on 10 minutes when Ethan Kerridge swung in a free kick from the left, Oliver headed towards the goal and when the keeper dropped his effort, Harley Curran was on hand to poked the ball home from six yards.

Immediately the home side responded and hit the bar from distance with Kyle Mcdonald saving the rebound. Within two minutes it was 1-1 when the Stirling right winger crossed and their forward stooped to head home.

Stirling hit the bar again, soon after and then ECU had a chance when Harley sent James Lawless through and he poked just wide of the post. Both sides were fully committed and playing some nice football. Just before half time, ECU could have gone in front, when Liam, once again, went past the full back and produced a brilliant cross, which James could not convert with his head.

Half Time – Stirling  1-1  ECU

The second half produced less chances but both sides were still playing with lots of intensity, Kyle made a good save from the home forward and generally his goalkeeping work was excellent throughout the match.

The home side had a sustained period of pressure but could not create many clear chances, the away defence and midfield were certainly working hard to relieve the pressure. On a rare break, Brad Jordan set up Harley, after a mazy run, and Harley fired just wide.

Having stemmed the tide, ECU were now having a good spell of possession, and the game looked to be heading for a draw so it was particularly frustrating that, with just 5 minutes remaining, the home side made the score 2-1. ECU had a few chances to clear their lines, the ball made it’s way back into their box and the home forward fired into the roof of the net, to score what was to be the winning goal.

ECU had a couple of corners which came to nothing and when the whistle went, the home side celebrated whilst the away team looked incredibly disappointed. Twice now ECU have lost 1-2 to Stirling and in both games they gave everything and deserved something from both games.

The boys should be proud of their performance, playing against older, physically stronger and bigger boys and if they continue to play in this way, for the rest of the season, they will surely be able to secure 2nd spot in the league which will gain them a deserved promotion to the top division.