ECU Weather the Storm

ECU Weather the Storm

Posted on September 22, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Round 17- Sunday 11th September – ECU 4   2 Hamersley

The penultimate round of the season brought Hamersley to the University.

On a morning when Irish eyes were smiling in the canteen after the overnight Rugby results, inclement weather conditions made it tricky for both teams, but ECU settled the better against the wind in the first half.

The game followed a similar pattern to the previous week with ECU’s patient passing game creating a host of chances.

Charlie’s good work set up early efforts on goal for Trent and Aaron. Kian almost broke the deadlock with a shot that rebounded off the inside of the right post to safety.

ECU again enjoyed the majority of early majority of early possession with Hamersley mounting the occasional counter attack.

The rain eased after 12 minutes of play and the opening goal of the game was scored. Ciaran intercepted the goalkeeper’s clearance to fire home ECU’s first.

ECU’s passing was exceptional throughout the entire team.

Lennon’s lofted ball over the defence sent Ciaran through, his blocked shot fell to Aaron who shot just wide. Aaron impressed, always making himself available at throw-in’s, ensuring ECU maintained possession. Ben then replaced Ciaran on 17minutes.

Evan was a rock at the back. Sweeping beautifully and ensuring the ball was being moved early into the midfield men.

Aaron went close again after a good knock back from Trent at the back post. Number’s 4, 7 and 10 all shone for the away team and Hamersley did look dangerous on the break. Kade had to be on his toes as Hamersley had shots from  distance.

On 22 minutes ECU increased their lead. Kian won possession at left back, before picking out Lennon. Lennon found Trent who dribbled past 2 defenders before driving the ball into the front post where Ben calmly slotted the ball past the keeper. He wouldn’t have long to wait for his second. In the final minute of the half Ben broke through the heart of the Hamersley defence to drive home an unstoppable shot from 15 yards to give ECU a 3-0 lead at half time.

ECU 3   0 Hamersley

With the wind at their backs for the second half ECU were hoping to increase on the 3 goal lead, but Hamersley had other ideas, pulling a goal back in the opening minute.

Ciaran put a good ball into the back post for Charlie but the bounce deceived the ECU striker.

Ben was setting a fine example, defending from the front as he closed down the Hamersley full backs. A cheeky back heel from Ben almost brought him his hat-trick after a good ball in from Trent.

Morgan was kept busy in the ECU goal but Hamersley were enjoying more of the play and pulled another goal back on 32 minutes.

Charlie then rallied for ECU with two great efforts. A curler tipped onto the crossbar by the keeper followed by a chance at the back post after being picked out with a good ball from Kade but the shot went over the bar.

Ben set up Trent for one of his thunderbolts which hammered against the crossbar.Half chances fell to Kade with a 30 yard strike and Ciaran’s front post flick into the side netting.

Trent replaced Morgan in goals for the last 10 minutes with Morgan bolstering the middle of midfield.

Hamersley were still threatening. Evan and Lennon with brave headed clearances from dangerous crosses into the box.

The well refereed game flowed from end to end. With 3 minutes to play the sun made a guest appearance.ECU were hanging on though and it wasn’t until the last minute that they put in the much needed fourth goal.

Ben’s cross to the front post was met by Charlie whose crucial touch sent the ball past Hamersley’s keeper, much to the relief of the home crowd.!

Hamersley mounted one final attack as their #10 broke from the half way line.Evan showed great strength and composure to guide the attacking player away from goals and nullify the danger.

Well played both teams!

FT: ECU 4   2 Hamersley