ECU End On A High

ECU End On A High

Posted on September 26, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Round 18- Sunday 25th September – Inglewood 1   8 ECU

ECU wrapped up their 2011 campaign with a stunning all round team performance against Inglewood.

Under the guidance of coach Mark (Geezer) the team has improved week in, week out. They had threatened to over- run opponents previously but hadn’t managed to maintain the intensity of good first half performances into the second period – until today.

With Ollie and Kian unavailable and Trent injured, ECU’s squad would be a little light.

Morgan broke the early dead lock after winning possession midway inside the Inglewood half. His powerful shot finding the net via the goal keepers legs.

On 6 minutes, Lennon made himself available from Harry’s throw, to pick put Charlie at the back post with an inch perfect cross, Charlie controlled the ball before firing in ECU’s second.

A break from the kick off by Inglewood almost found the ECU net but Kade was at full stretch to his left to tip the ball onto the post and out for a corner.

Charlie and Ciaran had good efforts saved in a 5 minute period of intense pressure, which had resulted in a number of corners for the visitors.

Harry was buzzing on the right wing. On 18 minutes, Harry jinxed his way past 4 defenders before squaring the ball to Ciaran. Ciaran’s shot came off the post and Etienne reacted quickly to sweep the ball into the net.

Inglewood were unable to make an impression on ECU’s back three. Aaron, Evan and Lennon were able to deal with any threat posed. All showed great composure as they passed the ball out from defence, linking up with the wide midfield men, Harry and Charlie.

Charlie had two good efforts from distance before ECU added their fourth. Morgan picking up a clearance and set himself for a 20 yard strike into the Inglewood net for his second and ECU’s fourth.

HT: Inglewood 0   4 ECU

Aaron took the gloves for the second half with Kade slotting in at left back.

Aaron was straight into the action as he pulled off a great save in the opening minute.

ECU kept the tempo up and Ciaran went close with a left foot volley off the angle after a brave header from Ben. Ben then had a shot off the post from a tight angle.

A break out from Inglewood allowed them to pull a goal back on 36 minutes. A fine goal from distance by the striker.

From the resultant kick off, Ben broke through the Inglewood midfield and put in Ciaran who fired a first time shot past the keeper for ECU’s fifth.

Ciaran swapped with Aaron in goals and Charlie came on up front for the last ten minutes.

ECU maintained their shape and showed good urgency throughout the second half.

On 44 minutes Lennon came out of a strong challenge with the ball and struck an unstoppable shot into the top left hand corner of the net from 25 yards out for ECU’s sixth.

Minutes later Aaron went close with two great efforts. The first a shot that shaved the left hand upright. His second after good work from Morgan and Brother Ben.

On 40 minutes Kade put in Etienne wide of the left. Etienne cut in towards goal and his sweet left foot strike flew past the Inglewood Keeper into the far right hand side of the goal for his second of the game.

A free kick in the final 2 minutes provided the topping on a fine display by ECU. Ben’s touch allowed Charlie to drive home ECU’s eighth which had too much power for the Inglewood keeper although he managed to get his finger tips on it, he could only push it into the roof of the net.

FT: Inglewood 1   8 ECU

Thanks to Coach Mark (Geezer), Mark McGuigan and John Higgins for their time and effort this year. The Howard Webb protégés for their refereeing displays, also to Alan for contributing with the match reports. Last but not least the U10’s squad of 2011 for providing a thoroughly entertaining season. You all individually as players and collectively as a team have improved as the season has progressed.

Well done Boys and Congratulations!