Déjà Vu for ECU

Déjà Vu for ECU

Posted on August 28, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Round 13- Sunday 21st August 2011 – ECU 3  Westside 3

It was a glorious morning at the university for the eagerly awaited return game against Westside.

With a slight breeze at their backs for the first half Charlie crafted out a couple of early chances for ECU. A shot just wide after a neat 1/2 with Ciaran and then going close with a header just over the bar.

Kian, Evan and Aaron looked comfortable at the back, patiently retaining possession in the early stages of the half.

ECU took the lead after 6 minutes. Charlie’s strike across the keeper couldn’t be held and Ciaran was at hand to slot the ball into the net.

Buoyed by the early goal ECU started to press. Trent had a shot blocked by after the good work from Oliver on the left hand side.

Morgan was to have a big impact in the middle of the park. In a 3 minute spell, his tenacity in the tackle had set up two chances for his team mates. Trent going close with a fine effort before Charlie’s left foot shot hit the base of the left hand post. Morgan then carved out a shooting opportunity for himself with a rasping effort from 20 yards which rebounded off the angle for a goal kick.

Westside weathered the early ECU storm and started to look dangerous themselves.

Evan produced a timely challenge on 17 minutes to prevent the Westside striker from getting a shot on goal.

Oliver showed his versatility switching to left back as Etienne strived to support his forwards from the left hand side of midfield.

Evan and Charlie linked up to send Lennon on a run down the right flank. Lennon’s driven cross to the front post inches away from Ciaran’s outstretched leg.

ECU were again playing some good football in spells. Evan, Lennon, Morgan and Ben combined well, with Ben producing a terrific ball into the box which only needed the slightest of touches from one of the forwards.

Westside equalised on 23 minutes. ECU unable to clear their lines after a Westside free kick. A fine goal giving Harry little chance in the ECU net.

ECU would have the final word in a close first half. Ciaran getting on the end of Charlie’s superbly weighted pass which had split the Westside defence to slot home past the advancing keeper.

HT: ECU 2   1 Westside

Oliver took over in goals for the second half with Harry moving to right back.

ECU couldn’t have wished for a better start, extending their lead within 2 minutes. Charlie fed Ciaran who turned inside his marker and drive a shot into the bottom left corner of the net from 15 yards, for his hat trick and ECU’s third.

A minute later Charlie was again in the action with a clean strike on goal that the keeper could only parry. Ben reacted quickly showing a great touch but was brought down for a free kick 10 yards out. The Westside defence stood tall and swiftly countered. They were rewarded with another well taken goal on the break.

It was now Westside who were enjoying more of the play.

Oliver pulled off a string of fantastic saves to keep Westside out.

There was a cruel blow for ECU on 40 minutes, as a ball across the ECU goalmouth took a wicked bobble as Harry attempted a clearance. The deflection finding its way into the net for Westside’s equaliser.

It was end to end football as both teams pushed for a winner in the final 5 minutes. Two Westside chances were stifled by Oliver’s fearless saves.

ECU’s final chances fell to Kian and Lennon. Kian’s shot finding the side netting before a loose ball fell to Lennon who powered his shot just wide of the left upright.

So honours even in a well contested game by both teams.

Thanks for another consistent refereeing display from Lennon’s Dad. I believe Howard Webb has been notified!!