As you were for U9’s after beating Perth SC

As you were for U9’s after beating Perth SC

Posted on August 19, 2011 in 'Juniors 2011'

Sunday 31th July 2011 – OSSF U10 North Blue – Perth SC 3 v 4 ECU Joondalup U9’s – Round 10 – By Stu Gilsenan

In spite of a two week mid-season layoff, ECU U9’s started the second half of the Optus SSF Under 10 Division North Blue with a well fought 4-3 victory away to Perth Soccer Club.

In tough conditions, it was Perth who made the brighter start and took full advantage of ECU’s failure to clear their lines following a free kick on 10 minutes as a near post tap in made the score 1-0. However, as the youngsters got to grips with the blustery conditions, so to the midfield started to dominate. A penetrating run from Harry Blunt saw him carry the ball deep into Perth’s defensive third and was duly rewarded with a corner on 16 minutes. It was Blunt himself who whipped in the low in-swinging corner and was amazed to see the ball elude not only his teammates but the entire Perth defence before cannoning in off the far post to level the scores at 1-1.

At the other end, the ECU defence was rarely troubled but was called into action on 20 minutes when a speculative cross from the Perth winger saw the ball catch the wind drift goal wards, only for fullback Aaron Louttit to acrobatically clear the ball over the crossbar to save what was a certain goal.

ECU went 2-1 ahead 5 minutes later after some great interplay between Dayan Bhudia and Dylan Leonard eventually leading to Bhudia chancing his luck from distance; the ball rocketing into to the top corner giving the ‘keeper absolutely no chance. A minute later, Blunt was again causing the Perth fullback all sorts of trouble and was again rewarded with another corner. Blunt this time played the ball short to Louttit whose first time cross  found  Leonard with enough space to turn and shoot, the ball flying past the outstretched hand of the ‘keeper to make it 3-1 on the stoke of half time.

The second half saw Perth step up their game as they continually pushed ECU deeper into their own half, but the back line remained solid, marshalled superbly by Mat McLaughlin and goal scoring opportunities were few and far between for both teams. In what was becoming a typical midfield battle Theo Gilsenan wrestled possession away from Perth and he smartly carried the ball forward before slipping an inch perfect through ball to Kurt Crompton who made no mistake and slotted the ball home to make the score 4-1 on 45 minutes.

Perth snatched their 3rd of the game on 47 minutes to make the final couple of minutes very twitchy for the youngsters and, as much as ECU tried to clear their lines, Perth kept up the pressure and was permanently camped on the edge of the ECU penalty area. A final last ditch attack from Perth ended with the centre forward one on one with ECU ‘keeper, Wesley Casimir-Brown. It was all in the mind of the striker who won the dual and struck a low goal bound shot only to see the ball crash back off the post before the referee blew for full time.

Full time:                                Perth SC                  3 – 4         ECU Joondalup U9’s

(Blunt 16 min)

(Bhudia 25 min)

(Leonard 26 min)

(Crompton 45 min)



2 – Aaron Louttit, 3 – Freddie Sadler, 4 – Ben Ford, 5 – Dayan Bhudia, 6 – Harry Blunt, 7 – Theo Gilsenan, 8 – Dylan Leonard, 9 – Wesley Casimir-Brown, 11 – Matthew McLaughlin, 12 – Nathan Rhodes, 13 – Kurt Crompton, 14 – Joe Hobson

Coach – John Higgins